H25 Oil Quantity?

mustangfrank

Anyone have an older version of the Tecumseh L Head manual or Quick Ref that has the oil capacity listed for the H25? No dipstick in the dual low fill side cover.

I'm going with 21oz pretty confidently as the crankcase is the same as a H30-35 but would feel warm and fuzzy if I had it in print.

Got a bug to take the little Nanza out for a first rip, went to check the oil level...nothing is easy.

20210701_185549.jpg 20210701_185558.jpg

mustangfrank

H & HSK30-35; HS & HSSK40-50; OHH & OHSK50-55 21 OUNCES

I got excited clicking on the link but it has the same (newer) info. Made sure the engine was dead flat and level and filled with exactly 21oz, oil level came up to the bottom of the filler hole threads just like all my other HS engines. I was too lazy to check the parts fiche to make sure it has the same dipper as the H30+ but it can't take much more oil volume anyway.

Pretty impressed with the power of the little booger, clutch shudder blinds me for a couple hundred RPM but once it locks up it scoots along well.

Addicted 2 Minis

I'm not the super Tecumseh expert but I think that may be an H30 with an H25 blower housing?. I've never seen a side popper H25, at least not a factory mini bike engine. I'll take a look at my model numbers to see if they match your data plates.

mustangfrank

I'm not the super Tecumseh expert but I think that may be an H30 with an H25 blower housing?. I've never seen a side popper H25, at least not a factory mini bike engine. I'll take a look at my model numbers to see if they match your data plates.
I'd appreciate that, according to the only brochure I've found (year correct) the BC-1100 came with a 3hp but I have seen at least one other engine with a BC-1100 sticker and a matching H25 tag. Supposed to be an all original bike & engine but the original owner passed away. I thought the 2.5hp was only on the BC-1000.

BC-1100 Brochure.jpg BC-1100 H25 Tag.jpg BC-1100 H25.jpg

Addicted 2 Minis

For what it's worth, here's my H25 data tags. The black one is from a 69 JC Penny or Bird and the white one is from my 70 Lil Indian. Both have 5/8" shafts, steel half tanks, rear exhaust and the mini bike type throttle returns. I did find a Craftsman H25 with a side exhaust but it was from a rototiller or edger, couldn't find the data tag for it though. Another thing I noticed about the BC1100 brochure, it says 3hp but shows what I believe to be an H25 as all the H30's that I've had with steel tanks have the larger ones.

68_H25_Data.jpeg
70_H25_Data.jpg

Last edited:

mustangfrank

For what it's worth, here's my H25 data tags. The black one is from a 69 JC Penny or Bird and the white one is from my 70 Lil Indian. Both have 5/8" shafts, steel half tanks, rear exhaust and the mini bike type throttle returns. I did find a Craftsman H25 with a side exhaust but it was from a rototiller or edger, couldn't find the data tag for it though. Another thing I noticed about the BC1100 brochure, it says 3hp but shows what I believe to be an H25 as all the H30's that I've had with steel tanks have the larger ones.

View attachment 280216
View attachment 280217
Parts fiche diagram shows both as side poppers but that isn't reliable (obviously). The block IS one of the different part numbers between your white H25 and mine. 31428 (Cylinder Block - Cast Iron Bore?) comes up as an H25 AND H30 part, yours takes a 33066 (Cylinder Block) which also comes up as an H25 AND H30 part.

I don't know if this proves anything. I'll go out and take a look at the mounting plate again, I remember thinking the engine had never been unbolted from the frame based on original paint/marks.

mustangfrank

If/when they swapped engines or shortblocks they bolted it in EXACTLY where the original was. I gotta believe you are correct though, I can't find any side popper equipped Bonanza pictures.

The good news is I feel better about repurposing this frame for another build now since it's probably not the original engine. I'll pull the engine apart at some point and check the stroke.

Nice catch, first mini purchase for me with less than an HS40, I learn something everyday!