H50 piston & pin

copyman

Hi,

Now that I finally found the crankshaft (thank you OND) going to rebuild the H50.

I'm sure this will be first of many "stupid" questions as this is my first rebuild.

I received which I think is OEM piston & pin set today and confused, in the box was the piston with a pin in it already and a separate bag with a pin and the locking clips. Why 2 pins?

Also are the rings suppose to come on a piston /pin set? There are no rings on piston. Fortunately I have a set of rings from a lot of TEC parts I bought on ebay awhile back.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Last edited:

copyman

Hi,

Now that I finally found the crankshaft (thank you OND) going to rebuild the H50.

I'm sure this will be first of many "stupid" questions as this is my first rebuild.

I received which I think is OEM piston & pin set today and confused, in the box was the piston with a pin in it already and a separate bag with a pin and the locking clips. Why 2 pins?

Also are the rings suppose to come on a piston /pin set? There are no rings on piston. Fortunately I have a set of rings from a lot of TEC parts I bought on ebay awhile back.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Here is picture DSCF2125[1].jpg

You are welcome copyman ..and no pistons usually do not come with the ring set . Wrist pin is a bonus as they usually only come with one .

copyman

You are welcome copyman ..and no pistons usually do not come with the ring set . Wrist pin is a bonus as they usually only come with one .
Thanks for reply.

Few other questions if you don't mind:

Any special tool needed to tap pin out to put rod on? can I use a socket? Any trick or tool needed to put the pin locking clips on? needle nose pliers?

Do you recommend the C-clamp valve compressor tool or that other slender one you see online?

And what about the ring expander tool, is this necessary? I already bought the ring compressor since is was only $10

And one last thing, the new rod has same OEM part # but had a "C" at the end instead of an "A". The original parts manual shows nuts with washers holding rod to crank. The part # with "C" I have has just bolts no washers. I'm assuming this is new style and should be fine?

Thanks again

Good morning copyman
Wrist pin should slide out easily and no tools needed for that . Needle nose pliers will work for the clips . If you are careful you will not need the ring expander tool , you can do that with only your hands . .. but be careful . Ring compressor of any type will help you install the piston . If you oil the piston and rings be for installation in the block will help it slide in better . Also make sure you put the new piston on the rod as same as you took it off . I usually just mark the rod and piston before I take it apart . When you get the new rings on make sure all the gaps in the rings are crossed from each other . ( do not put all the gaps in line with each other )

copyman

Thanks. Good tips & expert advice as usual.

What about if I'm using a new rod how do I know which way to install? Looking at new one only thing I see different is a notch on one side. I don't have engine apart yet to compare. Hopefully warm enough next week to drain the oil and crack open the engine.