H50 with Mikuni carb setup

cfh

i've used 16mm to 22mm on Tecumseh HS40 and HS50 engines. with the only other mod being an open exhaust, the 16mm works just as well as the 22mm (maybe even better.) You need the larger carb size as you do other mods, like mostly, a bigger cam. If you do a dynocam 245 or 255 yea you'll need a bigger carb. In that case 22mm is probably most versatile. It will work with the 16mm, but to really get all you can out of the cam, the bigger carb is helpful. A smaller carb will basically limit the rpm (which perhaps is a good thing, depending on what you're trying to achieve.)

mustangfrank

That was the first thing that came up on Google when I searched this topic. Awesome guide! I saw you recommended for an 80cc honda engine on there. Do you know if that'll bolt right up to this engine or am I going to need a custom fabbed intake? The stock intake manifold on it right now has a little under 46mm between the bolts to the carb
Nothing bolts up, you will have to fab an intake...the H engines have that factory intake adapter/spacer that makes a good template for the engine side.

Sounds like you're set on going slide carb but if you just want it to run without the throttle sticking, do a good carb cleaning, rebuild kit and put a proper minibike throttle assy on, it'll run fine stock.

Nothing bolts up, you will have to fab an intake...the H engines have that factory intake adapter/spacer that makes a good template for the engine side.

Sounds like you're set on going slide carb but if you just want it to run without the throttle sticking, do a good carb cleaning, rebuild kit and put a proper minibike throttle assy on, it'll run fine stock.
I've looked at those throttle assemblies, but I already have a throttle cable that's ready for a slide carb, not to mention those plates are the same or double the price of the 16mm carb. Only thing I have to worry about is that adapter. My harbor freight welder kinda sucks, but I think I could patch any holes with jb weld. That or find someone who can weld on Facebook

DaddyJohn

Whats the difference between h and hs?
I didn't see anyone address this specific question (though Delray knows what's going on), so...

The H is a larger format engine than the HS (aka small block), even though both were available in a 5hp model.

H engines were used in some earlier minis (and some later larger frame minis), but were soon supplanted by the easier to package and lighter HS series when they became avaiable. As such, HS stuff tends to be a bit more commonly encountered with respect to mini bikes.

Except the H25-H35, which are physically smaller than both, but we aren't talking about those.:D

DaddyJohn

just remember he is running big block engine. so stock or mod it will need at least 22mm carb...:scooter:
Not taking issue with this assessment, but (correct me if I'm wrong) a 5hp H50 and 5hp HS50 are within a cc or two of each other in displacement.
Would it make any difference if you used the same carb on either?

delray

Not taking issue with this assessment, but (correct me if I'm wrong) a 5hp H50 and 5hp HS50 are within a cc or two of each other in displacement.
Would it make any difference if you used the same carb on either?
if we are talking about complete stock engines as mentioned earlier a 22mm might be little to big for a hs-50 . it might sacrifice on low end response. now on a Big block H50 the porting is much bigger & valves and it would more then likely run much better then on a stock small block . also remember just because they make the same horse power doesn't mean they make the same torque.

DaddyJohn

if we are talking about complete stock engines as mentioned earlier a 22mm might be little to big for a hs-50 . it might sacrifice on low end response. now on a Big block H50 the porting is much bigger & valves and it would more then likely run much better then on a stock small block . also remember just because they make the same horse power doesn't mean they make the same torque.
So the H and HS 5hp would deliver their rated hp at different rpm’s?

mustangfrank

So the H and HS 5hp would deliver their rated hp at different rpm’s?
I've always thought the H had more torque but according to Tecumseh published power curves they don't. More recommended operating range 1800-3600 versus HS 2200-3600 and slightly more torque available from 1800-2200 but otherwise the data says they're basically the same, 5hp at 3600 and peak torque just under 8lbs at 2700-2800.

Torque curve appears flatter on the H but it's more of a graphing difference. I'd be interested to see some actual independent dyno numbers.

Data from 1977 and 1983 Tecumseh Engine Specifications...thanks @cfh
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/tecumsehmb.htm#good
Top of the page menu for download links

delray

I've always thought the H had more torque but according to Tecumseh published power curves they don't. More recommended operating range 1800-3600 versus HS 2200-3600 and slightly more torque available from 1800-2200 but otherwise the data says they're basically the same, 5hp at 3600 and peak torque just under 8lbs at 2700-2800.

Torque curve appears flatter on the H but it's more of a graphing difference. I'd be interested to see some actual independent dyno numbers.

Data from 1977 and 1983 Tecumseh Engine Specifications...thanks @cfh
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/tecumsehmb.htm#good
Top of the page menu for download links
Doesn't surprise me big block torque comes on sooner.
With also larger crank weights and flywheel......

DaddyJohn

I was mostly alluding to the fact that horsepower (1hp = 550 ft-lbs/sec) is torque times rpm. If you have two engines rated at the same max horsepower, but one is delivering more torque at that maximum, it follows that it must be delivering it at a lower rpm.

markus

This is what started my H50 build . Great little engines !
@OND What were your findings with that carb under load/running (size of carb and jetting changes if any)? I have another motorsports SBH 9994 on the way, yours is pretty close to the Those since you stroked it etc.. I doubt I am gonna find a Dell for it, guessing I am gong to have to go with one of these for this one.

delray

@OND What were your findings with that carb under load/running (size of carb and jetting changes if any)? I have another motorsports SBH 9994 on the way, yours is pretty close to the Those since you stroked it etc.. I doubt I am gonna find a Dell for it, guessing I am gong to have to go with one of these for this one.
nice makus, i just watch that one on ebay go for under $400, i also see they are out of Puerto Rico . same area as the last vender was on ebay selling all the motorsports stuff. wonder what kind of stuff they have left over?
need to get going also on a H-build some day.
rods.jpg

Last edited:

markus

nice makus, i just watch that one on ebay go for under $400, i also see they are out of Puerto Rico . same area as the last vender was on ebay selling all the motorsports stuff. wonder what kind of stuff they have left over?
$350 shipped :cool: I dunno If I will get a motorsports crate or not though, it was not pictured.....I hope so, but might just be wrapped in the free paper towels that the jackass in the white house passed out during the hurricane a couple of years ago. No idea what they have as of yet. I am running low on coils, but I have feeling they cleaned those out on the last sell off if it is ugly chicken. Got a lighting system ready for it, gotta start watching for a nice clean early shroud to backdate etc...

delray

$350 shipped :cool: I dunno If I will get a motorsports crate or not though, it was not pictured.....I hope so, but might just be wrapped in the free paper towels that the jackass in the white house passed out during the hurricane a couple of years ago. No idea what they have as of yet. I am running low on coils, but I have feeling they cleaned those out on the last sell off if it is ugly chicken. Got a lighting system ready for it, gotta start watching for a nice clean early shroud to backdate etc...
nice,350 not a bad price for that. i was just looking at that guys history and someone got a 5hp for $50 +127 shipping ..lucky dog.
i been just just tripping over vintage tecumseh stuff lately. most are early 70-70's 4hp's and some 5hp. just found real nice one for a member here. that one was a early 70's off a snowblower. don't what to do a search for tecumseh stuff in wis or you will be on a road trip....lol

Actually @markus the carb ran out pretty good at low speeds and higher rpm's . H50/60 had plenty of torque with the gearing I was running . I did have the chikuni jetted up a little more than the way it came .
Really haven't fooled with it much this year because of the Corona bull .