H50

Wbcor

Hi guys. I’m looking at a Tecumseh Engine for my (to the best of my knowledge) 1967 BC1300.
number is: HS50-670090 SER6323B.
crankshaft is 3/4 drilled and tapped. It seems pretty close, but, boy, are these hard to locate.
(earlier threads discussed whether 35/40/50 is correct for the bike and I’ve seemed to settle on HS50, but feel free to point out any wrong assumptions by me). Thanks!!
Bill

I have a hs40 in a bonanza 1000 I believe the hs40 or 50 to be correct, but not an expert...I think I could fit this h50 in the frame no problem...

markus

Hi guys. I’m looking at a Tecumseh Engine for my (to the best of my knowledge) 1967 BC1300.
number is: HS50-670090 SER6323B.
crankshaft is 3/4 drilled and tapped. It seems pretty close, but, boy, are these hard to locate.
(earlier threads discussed whether 35/40/50 is correct for the bike and I’ve seemed to settle on HS50, but feel free to point out any wrong assumptions by me). Thanks!!
Bill
Well in 1967 the biggest "small frame" engine that was available was an H35 (3.5 hp) They did start to use the HS40 (4hp) after it came out in 1968 on the BC 1300 bikes though. The HS50 was most likely never used from Bonanza, they did not become available until 1972 and Bonanza was pretty much out of the game at that point. So if correct matters and it is a 1967, you have only one choice., If you dont care about that, the Bonanza frames can accomadate just about any small and medium frame engine since they have jackshaft provisions and multiple engine slots to position the engine. they used Briggs, clintons, and tecumseh at one time or another on the BC series bikes at one time or another.

Wbcor

Well in 1967 the biggest "small frame" engine that was available was an H35 (3.5 hp) They did start to use the HS40 (4hp) after it came out in 1968 on the BC 1300 bikes though. The HS50 was most likely never used from Bonanza, they did not become available until 1972 and Bonanza was pretty much out of the game at that point. So if correct matters and it is a 1967, you have only one choice., If you dont care about that, the Bonanza frames can accomadate just about any small and medium frame engine since they have jackshaft provisions and multiple engine slots to position the engine. they used Briggs, clintons, and tecumseh at one time or another on the BC series bikes at one time or another.

Thanks Markus.
I'm going for originality. I think we determined my mini bike is an early 1967. You had given me some feeback that the welded-on tube for the brake cabel stop indicated early 67. The tires, I believe, are orginal, but I can't seem to figure a date code from them.

Below is what I'm going for. I have the under-seat gas tank mount, so I'd like to configure it with the chrome tank. I'm assuming I will have to fabricate the exhaust.

Question: Were the lights optional for the BC1300?

Regarding the H50 vs. 40 vs. 35 i was going of of this info:

Oct 28, 2017
Ajf said:
Most front peg bc1300’s in 67 that I’ve seen had a big block h50, the hs40 bc1300 showed up in 68. Some 68 and even early 69 had h50 also It is rare to see a 1300 with an h35 but I have seen a few.
wouldn't that (h50 powered) be technically be a 1300T?

Thanks and regards,
Bill

1578009291348.png

markus

Thanks Markus.
I'm going for originality. I think we determined my mini bike is an early 1967. You had given me some feeback that the welded-on tube for the brake cabel stop indicated early 67. The tires, I believe, are orginal, but I can't seem to figure a date code from them.

Below is what I'm going for. I have the under-seat gas tank mount, so I'd like to configure it with the chrome tank. I'm assuming I will have to fabricate the exhaust.

Question: Were the lights optional for the BC1300?

Regarding the H50 vs. 40 vs. 35 i was going of of this info:

Oct 28, 2017
Ajf said:
Most front peg bc1300’s in 67 that I’ve seen had a big block h50, the hs40 bc1300 showed up in 68. Some 68 and even early 69 had h50 also It is rare to see a 1300 with an h35 but I have seen a few.
wouldn't that (h50 powered) be technically be a 1300T?

Thanks and regards,
Bill

View attachment 254602
I think you are starting to confuse the HS50 with an H50 they are totally different engines. There is a dimensional size, configuration, and weight difference between the 2 engines. Your 1st post in this thread was asking about a specific HS50 (which btw is a 1976 mini bike specific version) HS is a small frame engine H50 is a medium frame engine. That is why the S had to be put into the designation code when both the HS40 (1968 start) and HS50 (1972 start) came out.....at the same time they made an H40 and H50 engine which were also 4 and 5 hp engines but were based on a much larger block design.

since you posted the way you did, you were referring to small frame engines only so I gave you the info for those in regards to your application.

Wbcor

I think you are starting to confuse the HS50 with an H50 they are totally different engines. There is a dimensional size, configuration, and weight difference between the 2 engines. Your 1st post in this thread was asking about a specific HS50 (which btw is a 1976 mini bike specific version) HS is a small frame engine H50 is a medium frame engine. That is why the S had to be put into the designation code when both the HS40 (1968 start) and HS50 (1972 start) came out.....at the same time they made an H40 and H50 engine which were also 4 and 5 hp engines but were based on a much larger block design.

since you posted the way you did, you were referring to small frame engines only so I gave you the info for those in regards to your application.
Hi Markus,
Thanks for your help and patience. Yes, I overlooked the H vs. HS. It looks like it's a HS35 for my early '67 BC1300. Right now I'm getting the frame ready for paint, but it will be a while - too cold in Oregon. I need to recondition the wheels and the rest of the chassis. Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye out for an engine. I need to decide lighted or non-lighted :rolleyes:
Again, Thanks and regards,
Bill