Hand held sandblasters any good?

I have been playing around with the idea of purchasing a hand held sandblasting gun.. I have a cabinet but due to its, size its limited..
I would like to be able to clean up corners on frames and wheels, places where a sanding disc or wire wheel can't reach. Anybody have any experience with one of these tools? I would like to hear the good and the bad...

I bought one years ago and it still works great , mine doesn't hold a lot of blast material but its great for those tight spaces on bigger parts. Don't know how good it will work with the smaller air compressors though , mine has a 50 gallon tank at 125 psi .

I bought one years ago and it still works great , mine doesn't hold a lot of blast material but its great for those tight spaces on bigger parts. Don't know how good it will work with the smaller air compressors though , mine has a 50 gallon tank at 125 psi .
I only have a 30 gallon tank but the compressor can run my blast cabinet.. I see this as a cheep time saver..

It is a cheap time saver ! A little messy at times though ...lol
If it runs your blast cabinet it should work on the hand held gun to .

I have been playing around with the idea of purchasing a hand held sandblasting gun.. I have a cabinet but due to its, size its limited..
I would like to be able to clean up corners on frames and wheels, places where a sanding disc or wire wheel can't reach. Anybody have any experience with one of these tools? I would like to hear the good and the bad...
Yup, they work just fine. Don’t skimp on the Personal Protective Equipment. We use full, head-to-toe protection. Use the best hood you can afford or better.
Hope this helps,
Steve

Just an idea...I have one and use to buy old junk tents off Craigslist for cheap and blast frames inside it with a hand held gun. When it started getting holes I would just throw it away and get another. And it keeps the sand in one area so it is easier to scoop it back up.
Awesome idea! Fwiw, I am talking about soda blasting killing grass. Either way it's messy if you do any amount of it, although sand may not be as devastating on plant-life.

Awesome idea! Fwiw, I am talking about soda blasting killing grass. Either way it's messy if you do any amount of it, although sand may not be as devastating on plant-life.
My bad..I was just responding in general to Eric. I haven't tried soda blasting yet....but I know sand/glass bead goes everywhere. If it ends up in the lawn...eventually you install a pool and list it as beach front property for sale. Because it is impossible to remove it. lol

Where I live blasting outdoors is miserable during cold winter weather so I got a Skat-Blast 976 blast cabinet. It makes the blasting much more pleasant and saves all the lost blast media. Think of it as a life long investment that will find many uses.

Where I live blasting outdoors is miserable during cold winter weather so I got a Skat-Blast 976 blast cabinet. It makes the blasting much more pleasant and saves all the lost blast media. Think of it as a life long investment that will find many uses.
Thanks I do have a blast cabinet already.. and I do agree the winters here in the north make doing anything outside rather miserable.. I am planning on using this tool for parts that wont fit in the cabinet.. not complete bikes mind you, but corners on frames tight spots that you cant get a disc or wire wheel into..

kayde

I like useing the little spot blasters to do what they are meant for.
Fine tuneing your set up will pay huge dividends in the end results.
Plugging in one of those little guns and blowing the entire tank out in less than a minute leaving just a scuff on your work peice then you might understand what im getting at.

After that most would throw it in the trash and complain they are nothing but garbage.

Using play sand too blast one should really be aware of the danger of silicosis and breathing potentially dangerous dust from the coating or material your cleaning.

Blasting safety should be taken very seriously even with a little spot blaster.