Handlebar question

I am a new member here and not a new member to being a regular on a forum. That said, I am confused to which forum I should post this to seeing how there are so many. May I suggest making a, "general minibike question forum" which could lead to different, more specific threads. Not sure if this makes sense or if explained correctly?

Anyway - see below.
20200930_130602.jpg 20200930_130607.jpg 20200930_130616.jpg

I have a Sportsman Hunter Trail Scooter and a model 600 Tote Gote I'm working on. The handlebars are really low on both of them. I'm thinking of cutting of the handles where the forks come up and mounting these Pro Tapper Evo bars/Ape bars I have. I think it would look a lot better and would feel much better too.
I'm looking for some ideas on how to mount it to the top. I would need some type of clamp or maybe have to drill a couple of holes through the new bars and top center of the original ones and use some bolts, nuts, and washers. I don't have an aluminum welder so that won't work. Any suggestions or ideas?

mustangfrank

Didn't you just get that mini...already cutting it up? I love it!

If you gotta use those bars it looks like you're going to need to cut the factory bars and weld a plate on top for a bolt down type mount.

I think if I was doing it I'd cut the bar risers off at the top fork plate, put a mount there and get some taller bars. Or get some steel bars, cut the factory bars off, fishmouth the ends and weld em in like the factory bars are.

Are those minis worth high dollars? I'm a puss when it comes to devaluation of rare or pricey machines.

i would probally get a cheap new fork save those old girls they are rare
This is the part where I'm confused and torn on. There's a handful of people in the world that know this bike. They appreciate it, but no one is going out of their way to buy it.
I bought it to ride it and to film some adventures. I'd live to look at it but much rather ride it.

I wouldn't cut something up if I knew it would destroy the value. I would, however, to ride and enjoy it.

Disagree?

Find some Trail Tamer forks and use them with whatever bars you like. They will function better and you can ride the heck out of your bike.
I think these forks are just fine. I just need an idea how to mount new bars.

Maybe this hasn't been done before and I just gotta figure it out.

Lizardking

What people are saying is don't hack those old forks, but you own it so you decide. There are plenty of new style forks you can hack up to ride..

Steve73

I think these forks are just fine. I just need an idea how to mount new bars.

Maybe this hasn't been done before and I just gotta figure it out.
cut the old bars off and weld in a couple of handle bar clamps in each side. then clamp on the new bars and adjust as needed and then you just have to paint the new bars to match that funky blue color. done.

I74

i would probally get a cheap new fork save those old girls they are rare
I wouldn't cut that up either.

Looks like the front suspension fork kit that ''Go Power sports'' offers, would probably work,, plus they ''should'' have 4 piece aluminum risers for the Mega moto bikes that will line right up with the top tree holes on their front end.

You could probably also use your neck bolt ect., might just have to enlarge the upper & lower tree holes a smidge though,, as your bolt looks a bit larger.. No big deal.

The axel O.D. on their kit is 5/8, & it also comes with spacers.
You can probably get ''sealed'' bearings for that rim with 5/8 I.D., as it looks like your axels might be around 3/4.

If the spacers in the kit are not long enough, you can always add ''steel'' bushings or washers from the hardware store ect.
Or you can ''carefully'' cut down the spacers, or replace with steel spacer/bushings ect. ,, if they are to long.
Really can't see your front hub to determine..

If your ''Apes'' are 7/8, they would bolt up nicely. ;)

I

Last edited: