HarleysPapa - 1972 Fox Thunderbolt MX212 - (Vintage Open)

I really like the size of my Thunderbolt. I suggest putting your shocks on super stiff and jumping up and down to see if the swingarm flexes... Beef it up before you paint it if you need to. Are those the CT70 shocks like I have? They are awesome. I bought some and put them on my VT5 also...

Last edited:
I really like the size of my Thunderbolt. I suggest putting your shocks on super stiff and jumping up and down to see if the swingarm flexes... Beef it up before you paint it if you need to. Are those the CT70 shocks like I have? They are awesome. I bought some and put them on my VT5 also...
Look like the CT70s. I put them on my Gilson Trail Bike and they are pretty stiff in the stock setting. Randy and I are about the same weight so he may not need to bump them up. I do like the look of them on the Fox!:thumbsup:

That looks great Randy.
Shocks source?
CT70 shocks I got from e-bay
Good idea :thumbsup:

Look like the CT70s. I put them on my Gilson Trail Bike and they are pretty stiff in the stock setting. Randy and I are about the same weight so he may not need to bump them up. I do like the look of them on the Fox!:thumbsup:
Randy just means I should check the swing arm they are a weak point on these bikes and the stock swing arm has been stretched 4" :doah:

Maybe run a gusset on the top of the swing arm, incorporating the shock mount with it. Anyway, I love the way this machine sits. You're doing a bang up job on it. :thumbsup: Agree, the seat is perfect!

Maybe run a gusset on the top of the swing arm, incorporating the shock mount with it. Anyway, I love the way this machine sits. You're doing a bang up job on it. :thumbsup: Agree, the seat is perfect!
Thanks Dave, that's an idea or I could do what Randy did to his :shrug:

I think everyone I have seen had a bent swing arm. Yours is the worst I've seen though. I went with an extended z50 swingarm when I redid mine. If you are going for more of a stock look. I suggest beefing up whatever tube they used.

The wheelbase looks fine just that extended swingarm looks kinda spindly. I think the aluminum one would look great on it if it fits.

Well I got a little done on the bike today :thumbsup:
This is how it looks with the new seat and the tank I'm going to use :thumbsup: I did jack up the shocks to their stiffest and had Mama watch while I bounced on it and she didn't see any flexing :shrug:

I made a bracket for the number plate, it will get welded in place :thumbsup:

Karl had made a foot peg because it was missing one but it didn't fold all the way up so I did some grinding on it and its all good now :thumbsup:

I tried on the new foot peg covers for size, I may have to pin them so they stay on :doah:

I pulled the shroud off the motor so I could take it to work for sand blasting and paint :thumbsup: Its getting the same yellow as the other tins and a black recoil :thumbsup:

Randy Karl told me that the swing arm had been sleeved when it was cut . If so I would think it would be fine . DAVES idea of adding I gusset will work even if it hadn't been sleeved . I also don't think your going off big table top jumps either .

And one more thing if you want send it to me and I'll gusset it and it won't bend . And the work will be free .

Last edited: