Harness connectors

I’m looking to purchase wire connectors for my mini bike harness. I want to make sure the connectors I purchase are rated high enough. My bike’s output is 3 amp. My question is, does the amp output increase at full throttle. If so- how much? Thanks

Well i spin my Hs50s to pretty high RPMs and the stock black plastic 3 pin plug has been absolutely fine. It is designed to handle the load of the system.
If you want it to be weather/water resistant, you could look into weatherpack connectors.

As the engine spins higher, the voltage increases but i think the amperage stays the same?
The Tecumseh Service Manual has a handy chart-

If you are worried about the amperage, you could always add an inline fuse but i have never needed one. I am running headlight, taillight and brake lights on the same system.

Black widow used to sell the connectors, not sure if they still do. I have purchased them from ebay before, they turn up sometimes.

Last edited:
The voltage increases from about a few at idle to about 10 volts AC at full governed RPM. (I just noted Massacre posted that) You asked about amperage of course, and yes, current is directly proportionate to voltage. But those series 56 connectors were what were used and are plenty large enough. Google Delphi series 56 three pin connectors. They are way too expensive on Ebay. Note, you need to be gender specific (male or female) when ordering pins or sockets as well as the cases themselves.

https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/...B_-tb_jyecxojqzMzos4vUzIrwsnX13BoCyR8QAvD_BwE

I have some of the Delphi 56 connectors male and female and pins, My problem is I never remember which pin male or female goes into the connector and when I get them backwards they are hard as hell to plug in. I may have some extras if you need them. I only use them for the engine to harness, after that I use modern waterproof ones that are made for auto use and are very cheap in ebay.

Attachments

I have some of the Delphi 56 connectors male and female and pins, My problem is I never remember which pin male or female goes into the connector and when I get them backwards they are hard as hell to plug in. I may have some extras if you need them. I only use them for the engine to harness, after that I use modern waterproof ones that are made for auto use and are very cheap in ebay.
. Thank you for your kind offer, but I would not feel right taking your connector. I think I’m going to purchase one at Blackwidow. I’ve attached a picture of it. Thanks again! E22A1193-CE9E-43FA-B91A-E2FBD44C472D.png

No, that will require you to splice wires. Get the parts I linked to, and if you don't have the right crimpers, I suggest you solder the wires in, then crimp with pliers.

Actually, I have these laying around. 2$ plus shipping. I can even crimp wires on and supply an outer cover for a couple more dollars. And 18 ga will handle 16 amps. 20 ga will handle 11 amps. More than three times what you'll see. We (and Tecusmeh) have been using these connectors without a problem for 50 plus years. :)
56 Series.JPG

Actually, I have these laying around. 2$ plus shipping. I can even crimp wires on and supply an outer cover for a couple more dollars. And 18 ga will handle 16 amps. 20 ga will handle 11 amps. More than three times what you'll see. We (and Tecusmeh) have been using these connectors without a problem for 50 plus years. :)
View attachment 287197
That figures! I just bought 14awg wire for my harness. I just figured heavy was a safe bet. I should have asked here what gauge to get. Will it hurt if I use it anyway?