Harrison wildcat torque converter advice needed

Hi guys. I'm finally starting rebuilding my harrison wildcat from my childhood. It was originally fitted with a salsbury 330 driver and driven. The driven survives but driver is long lost. So what are my options?

I've seen the gtc 340.. is this a direct replacement? Any good?

Juggernaut? Is that compatible with my 340 driven?

Or do I replace driven and driver with a different set up?

I'm going to be running a nos tecumseh h35 powersport (believe my bike originally ran an hs40)

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts/ advice. Cheers

mustangfrank

Save yourself some dough for the rest of the rebuild and just get a Comet 20 or 30 series for both clutches, they're designed for up to 8hp. If your driven is in really nice shape you could get a matching drive clutch just research belt width and angle to make sure nothing has changed over the years. All the other clutches you mentioned are overkill unless it had a bigger engine on it though...I love the Harrison fenders, post some pictures.

Last edited:
Save yourself some dough for the rest of the rebuild and just get a Comet 20 or 30 series for both clutches, they're designed for up to 8hp. If your driven is in really nice shape you could get a matching drive clutch just research belt width and angle to make sure nothing has changed over the years. All the other clutches you mentioned are overkill unless it had a bigger engine on it though...I love the Harrison fenders, post some pictures.
It's in lots of bits at the moment but here's a pic before I stripped it. So you think a 20 or 30 series would be fine? Should i go for a certain brand? Or are the ebay type ones ok? Cheers

Attachments

mustangfrank

It's in lots of bits at the moment but here's a pic before I stripped it. So you think a 20 or 30 series would be fine? Should i go for a certain brand? Or are the ebay type ones ok? Cheers
Totally fine and preferred with your engine size, the 40 series and up is for 10hp and up, it'll work but it'd be a waste. Without seeing the other side of the jackshaft I can't tell if there's room and alignment issues for whether a 20 or 30 series would be best.

Personally I only use genuine Comet, the difference in materials and tolerances is visually and audibly apparent...if you're on a tight budget the Chinese clones will get you rolling, especially if you're not looking for every ounce of power to the tire.

She looks complete and I think I see alternator wires coming off the engine? (nice if so), straighten out them forks, little paint, enjoy the project!

Last edited:
Totally fine and preferred with your engine size, the 40 series and up is for 10hp and up, it'll work but it'd be a waste. Without seeing the other side of the jackshaft I can't tell if there's room and alignment issues for whether a 20 or 30 series would be best.

Personally I only use genuine Comet, the difference in materials and tolerances is visually and audibly apparent...if you're on a tight budget the Chinese clones will get you rolling, especially if you're not looking for every ounce of power to the tire.

She looks complete and I think I see alternator wires coming off the engine? (nice if so), straighten out them forks, little paint, enjoy the project!
Thanks. It's getting a full restoration. Probably looks better in the pictures than it actually is. I'm a paint sprayer by trade so has to be painted up really