has anyone ever seen a reed setup like this

DSCF2185.JPG IMG_6293.JPG IMG_6290.JPG the reeds are in the cylinders a piston pulls the fuel into the bottom of the cylinder then on the up stroke forces it down threw check valves into the crankcase out into a manifold up to the intake ports in the top of the cylinder. I can find nothing on this setup.

DSCF2174.JPG DSCF2178.JPG IMG_6292.JPG DSCF2187.JPG DSCF2188.JPG DSCF2190.JPG DSCF2196.JPG IMG_6288.JPG
I 'm pretty sure this is a power products twin the crankcase ignition and upper part of the cylinder appear to be the same only the cylinder has a screw in hemispherical head not flat and one piece see pics the comparison head is a power products 1000 it also has a iron rod with needle bearings I thought all the early ones were bushing. I have used every search term I can think of to find anything like it and come up empty I did find where they got a contract with the army to come up with and engine that would start at 60 below zero I'm wondering if this could be one of the experimental's the manifolds are all welded pieces not like you would expect from a production engine thank you for the reply

It looks like they've isolated the cylinders from each other via the reed cages. Normally, they draw through the case together.
May be an attempt at deleting crankcase scavenging issues? That and the steel skulls would aid your cold-weather theory.
Is it a 180 crank, pistons firing together?

yes it fires both at the same time. ignition is the same as the as the power products opposed twin cylinders. the ring on the check valve plate was stuck varnish build up some boiling water loosened it up with no problem now my only real problem is getting it back together no way to use a ring depressor and the bottom of the cylinder is not tapered.

Last edited:
If you can't chase the rings in with finger or a pusher of some sort, maybe wrap with a hose-clamp and sneak it on?

I'm still a bit baffled as to the airflow path in that rascal.

Did you get the rings loose? They looked to be stuck.

Last edited:
theirs no place to get a hose clamp back out of 3 inch part of the cylinder this has a 1 1/2 inch bore to 3 inch the bottom part of the piston is threaded into the top piston and staked, with another ring between them this bottom ring is the real problem because when it gets down to the 1/12 bore you have the 3 inch ring about ready to go in that bore if I measured it correctly you only have about 3/8 opening between the cylinder mounting plate and the 3 in. part I do have one idea if I can draw a twist tie around the ring then use a small pick and surgical clamps to get it out. the airflow path 3in. piston (valve plate) goes down air and fuel is drown threw the carb and intake manifold into 3in cylinder piston goes up air and fuel is forced down threw the check valves into the crankcase out of the case where the reeds usually are into another intake manifold going to the intake ports in the fire portion of the cylinder and out the exhaust ports like a normal engine. the only ring that was stuck was the 3 inch one build up of dried varnish from the fuel just put it in boiling water it softened up and washed out with no problem nice and loose now. the only marking on the engine is a number on the crankcase I think a casting number and the flywheel that is the same as power products used on their normal twins

Last edited:
I realize this is an ancient thread, but a single strand of copper wires re from am old extension cord, lamp cord etc is a good way to compress rings in smaller cylinders. You wrap the wire around the ring, compressing it and twist then snip the wire close to the ring. I usually put the twist in the ring gap. The wire remains in the cylinder and will burn up and or melt upon first start up. Just saying.