Havasu Dave's - "Mini Bike" - (Just For Fun)

Dave, that bike has great lines, I like it a lot. Your fabricating skills are amazing.
Freddy, and everyone else, thanks for the comments. I intended to describe the frame in my first post and forgot to do so.

I got the frame off of the internet from a seat builder in California. He is also selling a you weld kit which I should have got instead. I figured this was cheaper than buying a bender.

I'm just a garage hack with an angle grinder. :hammer:

Last night, while in the garage sitting on my shop bucket, :drinkup: I grabbed an H35 I am using on another project and fitted it in the frame. Since this engine is original to that other bike, I can not use it, however I thought the fit and look was pretty good. I am a fan of these engines.

Thanks Pat, just an idea. I had to weld in a spacer and key for that brake. It spins mostly true. LOL. If I were to use a Tec on this bike, I'd have to fund it by selling the WB. Not sure I want to do that. I sure do like this engine in it though.

LOL, maybe. That exhaust and engine fits the frame perfectly. I've had that engine for five years, along with the Cat it belongs to. Chromed that pipe maybe four years ago, also original to the engine. I also really like the way an H35 runs. Every one I've ever had has been far stronger than my HS 40's, especially with the torque.

The exhaust I have on the West Bend is a Palmini from back in the day, and is way cooler than any Tec pipe though. So there's that. Garage buckets- dangerous and expensive places to sit.

I'm liking that Tec engine in that bike Dave it seems to fill the frame just right . Also agree with you on the H35 engine I have one in a EZ Rider and that little engine pulls strong. Don't know why but I seem to be getting hooked on these Tec engines...:shrug:

I'm liking that Tec engine in that bike Dave it seems to fill the frame just right . Also agree with you on the H35 engine I have one in a EZ Rider and that little engine pulls strong. Don't know why but I seem to be getting hooked on these Tec engines...:shrug:
It sure does fit nice in there Eric, but I cant use it. If I had more disposable cash, I'd probably put together a Tecumseh plant for it, but I did buy the frame because I wanted a use for that US Marine Power 5.8- besides the shelf.

Removed tires to check out steel stamped wheels. Was considering changing to Azusa aluminums, but it's hard not to fall in love with old, rusty wheels held together with TEN fasteners. :laugh:

Much rust and pitting on back sides. Paint stripper, wire wheel, muratic acid and water, soak in soda ash mixture.

Because someone didn't use flat washers against lock washers, some of the metal was rough on the holes. I have blood on my floor as testament to the importance of frikking flat washers. :hammer:

Rust converter, primer, rattle can "chrome." I've never found a good reason to fair the pitting on old wheels.

No, I will not be going crazy with chrome on this bike, not a little, not at all. Not if it was big, not if it was tall. I will get new hardware, maybe chrome, maybe zinc, whatever, it's making me think.

Yep. I've spent thousands on chrome for old mini bikes. This is my fifth build off bike in a row. Pretty much just having fun with this.

I can chrome the wheels later, if I decide to. For now, I need the wheels back together to finish laying out the rest of the bike.

Well Dave this morning did you shave ? The wheels look good certainly as they should , I wish there was more I could say but hours are running short today :thumbsup:

Dave my vote goes to the TEC , the older I get the more I like the flatly's . I also like the shape of that frame it's going to look great when done . Keep up the good work and iam glad your back .

As I said earlier, I am going to swap the weld-on rear axle support tabs for "bushings" in order to make it look better, have access to the axle nuts, and give me more room in front of the rear tire for jack shaft components.

I went to "Metal Geek's" coping calculator and printed a pattern for coping. (Fishmouth) Wow, what a time saver! I cut it and taped it to the frame and shot some primer over it to mark out the area needed to be cut away. In this case, I am working with 1" .115 thick wall, and installing bushings with a 1" OD.

Pattern:

It obviously isn't the usual 45 or even 35 degrees!

Darn that is a bad photo!

I had to level the frame, paint the tube ends with SEM guide coat, then ran a straight edge along it. This gave me my 12:00 O'clock line. The pattern from Metal Geek has that line on it, so alignment was easy. I cut it with my trusty Makita angle grinder. Yes, I am a GARAGE HACK!

Coping cuts. Used pattern in the middle.

It's not saying much, but this is as close as I've got one of these. The entire process took me about half an hour.

I will use a 12" long piece of bushing stock and weld it in to ensure level, and square with the frame, as well as to ensure the axle will go into one hole and actually come out the other hole without binding.

Beat THAT with your CNC and water jet cutter! (Just kidding, but I am one bad motherscooter with an angle grinder!)
:laugh::laugh::laugh: :scooter::scooter::scooter: :drinkup::drinkup:

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Very nice Grind Master Dave!:grind:

It's stuff l.ike this is why we need you here...to show us hacks how it really should be done! Thank you!

^^Thank you sir. I was amazed at how simple that coping tool made the job. Four quick cuts and a few hits with the flap wheel and done. Pretty much the only "issue" I had was that rear axle mount.

The next issue is foot peg mount. I wont even try to figure them out until I have the bike all done. Haven't thought much about a seat either.

I'm trying to finish up another, larger bike project and just cant seem to get past that one. I'm watching your build as well.

Welded up the replacement axle supports. (Still waiting on an axle)

Moving the axle back 3 inches made all the difference in the world for JS and brake fitment. Didn't hurt the stance at all.