Haven't posted in quite a while but here's my "new" Tote Gote

tomc

I've always wanted a Tote Gote and yesterday I finally found one, and a rolling frame that might be a mini-gote. The complete, more or less, one is a model 680, serial # 468. According to the numbers on the Briggs and Stratton engine it is a 1965 model. It has compression but I have not cleaned the points and fuel system yet to try and start it. I believe the only things missing are the side panels, fenders, and 20190318_133729.jpg the rear foot pegs, which I can reproduce when I restore it. It came with an extra, new belt and rear tire. The seat has been poorly recovered at some time. 20190318_133347.jpg
What about the "extra" frame? I can find no markings or numbers on it. The seller was sure that it was also a Gote.
What do you all think?

Hello Tom.

The rolling frame is either a Heathkit Boonie Bike, or a Heald VT-1.

I am not sure what the one with the motor is.

Nice finds though. Enjoy !

tomc

Hello Tom.

The rolling frame is either a Heathkit Boonie Bike, or a Heald VT-1.

I am not sure what the one with the motor is.

Nice finds though. Enjoy !
The one with the motor is no mystery. It has a tag on the frame that identifies it as a Tote Gote model 680 serial # 468.
The Briggs and Stratton engine model # is 147402 type # 0689-10 serial # 6704121 which dates the engine to April of 1967.

tomc

I had a shirt made. Check it out. I've had several made made the same person over the past year or so and they always turn out great ant the price is right! 20190410_000203.jpg 20190410_000144.jpg

tomc

I rode my Gote for the first time today! What a thrill! One word of advice though, don't test ride without the seat. On a model 680 the spark-plug is right where your private parts will be, at least if you are around 6' tall, like me. It's a surprise to get zapped there!
I have a hip that was reconstructed a couple of years ago after an accident so I shouldn't be riding it without the padded seat anyway. I won't forget it again.

tomc

I tried my Gote out on a hill on my property today and was disappointed that it wouldn't pull the hill. I think it was due to belt slippage though. The belt is old, and the pulley halves are rusty. Tomorrow I plan to "dress" the edges of the belt, or replace it with the new spare that came with the bike when I got it, and clean and polish the pulley halves to a mirror finish. That should fix the problem. I never knew a Tote Gote to have a problem with a too steep hill in days past! I only weigh 212 lbs and the engine seems to run fine so it should carry my butt anywhere I want to go.
This thing is faster on flat ground than I remember a Tote Gote being but it's been almost 50 years since I rode one so maybe it just seems faster to an old man!

tomc

Thanks for the info Richard. Mine is a model 680 according to the tag on the frame so I suppose that means I have the 7.5:1 gears. Maybe the one I remember riding years ago had the 10:1 gears. I believe I could tell a difference, maybe even remember it after almost 50 years?

DARN! I hope I can make mine look that good when I'm done.
Tom, I apologize for posting that photo here. I thought you were talking about the drive systems on the 680, and didn't pay attention that this was in the Projects section. Thanks anyway for the comment. As you have seen, Richard Trotter is a wealth of information, and was indispensable when I was restoring the bike.