HD Clutch for DB30s with 97cc engine.

Hi guys! I've been a member here for about four years and I don't think I have ever posted. :) But, I have read a few jillion posts over the years doing research helping others. The first mini bike that I rode was around 1969 when I was about 28 years old :D

I've been thinking about using a mini bike to use as a pit bike to ride around cars and coffee type events and I saw a first gen DB30 advertised about 60 miles from here and I bought it. It still has the original 97 cc engine in it but it sounds pretty healthy and it will pull my 190 lbs fast enough for use as a pit bike. It has a few minor problems-one of which is the clutch. It is worn pretty badly and has quite a bit of wobble in it and the bushing had not been oiled in some time so it was locking up. Oiling fixed that particular problem.

I know the usual first suggestion is stick a predator in it, but, my son has one with the usual predator in it and it appears to be way too violent to use as a pit bike unless one wants to cruise with the front wheel off the ground-it's kinda binary, off or wide open...so, I would like to stick with the 97 for the time being, anyway.

Sorry for the long intro. My immediate question is which 5/8" 11 tooth clutch is heavy duty enuf to take some low speed cruising with my 190 lbs on top? Clutch prices seem to go from $20 to $100 but, the listings don't really give much info as to quality/durability. Max Torque shows one that is made to use with set screws (think it says for Predator 79) but I don't know if it can be used without the screws and float on the shaft like a normal one.

Ultimately, if I don't go to a larger engine, I think a jack shaft or converter is called for but, right now, I just want a durable clutch that locks up at a fairly low rpm. I'm thinking of some shorter tires just because I like the look and that will help the gearing a little.

Appreciate any suggestion clutchwise. Thanks!

I think those little engines use a 16mm shaft size for the clutch.....but not for sure. If so you might be limited to the stock clutch that comes with those engines...Good Luck !

I think those little engines use a 16mm shaft size for the clutch.....but not for sure. If so you might be limited to the stock clutch that comes with those engines...Good Luck !
[MENTION=47323]OND[/MENTION]. If that is the original engine, OND is correct. 16mm. The predator 79cc engine takes a 5/8 clutch.