Head swapping

scootercat

I was wondering because I have a HS 35 from a snow blower that the plug threads are stripped out,and I also have the head off a HS 40 that I've bead blasted & skim cut a few thou. I wanted to fit on the side popper....

I was wondering because I have a HS 35 from a snow blower that the plug threads are stripped out,and I also have the head off a HS 40 that I've bead blasted & skim cut a few thou. I wanted to fit on the side popper....
[MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION] is the true expert here, but I read somewhere that the newer H35/HS40s were essentially the same engine (and some H35s were actually badged as HS40). Since you have the head, see if it fits. I wouldn't try to start it until I checked clearance between valves and the head. Spark plug shouldn't be an issue since it's recessed. I did find, interestingly, that the 88 H60 head is quite a bit different than the 69/70 H60 head-- the 88 does not have the gasket ridge around the combustion chamber--totally smooth.

markus

Need to clarify this for you, There never was an "HS35" in the Tecumseh line, Honda yes, Tecumseh No. They were only ever called H35.

Like I said only if the HS40 head was pre 1969 do you have a shot, as they were in fact just H25-35 heads (same part number even). The bolt pattern got wider during 1969 for the HS40 and HS50 that was introduced 2 years later (it shares the same head with the HS40) and they never went back to the smaller pattern head for any of the HS40's or HS50's engines.

scootercat

I thank You Markus,I don't know much about the Tec ID and this engine is off of a old Snow Hound,(year unknown) and has a cover over the blower shroud and air cleaner to help with temps being cold,I replaced it with a blue H/F 6.5 after the plug hole stripped on the Tec. Can the year of the "HS 40" be I.D.ed by the numbers on the shroud? They are HS 40-55276E SER 50500 I will have to dig the H35 out of storage to get the numbers off of it,just a thought,instead of pitching it out just because of the bad plug threads!....

markus

I thank You Markus,I don't know much about the Tec ID and this engine is off of a old Snow Hound,(year unknown) and has a cover over the blower shroud and air cleaner to help with temps being cold,I replaced it with a blue H/F 6.5 after the plug hole stripped on the Tec. Can the year of the "HS 40" be I.D.ed by the numbers on the shroud? They are HS 40-55276E SER 50500 I will have to dig the H35 out of storage to get the numbers off of it,just a thought,instead of pitching it out just because of the bad plug threads!....
The HS40 is a 1975 so no the head will not cross. Can simply just get another H head, the latest one that will cross with all years (but you may need 2 longer head bolts as well depending on what version/year you have) is 36438 Pre 1976 where the coil wire went around the front of the engine is 30579 (there is no notch cut out for the shorter wire to exit in from the top) They are not expensive even new and readily available. Then you wont have to pitch out the HS40 because you stole the head off it :laugh:

scootercat

Thanks!....I was throwing stuff to recycle and the HS 40 block is already gone,bore was wiped out of round...I saved the b/housing, side cover &crank,carb & manifold,burnt Piston was trashed along with the rod...LOL!...I ran across the HS 40 head in the bottom of My Machinist tool box...And the H35 came to mind...:doah: