Headlight mount look familiar??? single post

markus

Just got this AP-4600 headlight in for something that uses a square block mount, It has a unique "mount block" on it that while isn't the flashiest looking it does look manufactured and probably zinc coated due to condition. Anyone seen one like it on a bike before???

Its mounted to the typical optional and stock single post headlight used on many of the bikes in the later 60's and 70's, Its a single on/off switch setup which may help narrow it down some.

Any help appreciated

I have one that came with a Fox Doodlebug. I have the mount but not the light. I would think it was manufactured by the minibike company or outsourced for the company.

Doc

On/Off, not bright/dim? I'm no mini bike expert, but I would have been all over that for my Powell E model with the lighting setup. There were no switches (that I could find) for those models, and when I was building mine, I wondered how they'd accomplished hi and low beam.

markus

I have one that came with a Fox Doodlebug. I have the mount but not the light. I would think it was manufactured by the minibike company or outsourced for the company.

Doc
Doc, Thank you, I think you are spot on :thumbsup: I did some surfing last night and It looks like the mount provision they made for the 68/69 bikes with the lighted coil tec's on them and the bigger lights. I spotted a pretty good 68 campus survivor showing the light an all on it still and it was a single toggle setup and appears they ran bar mounted switch for the high/low etc which you can see pretty well on the 68 catalog cover photo.

I always found it kinda odd that the headlight or even some of the optional light kits didn't include a mount. and so far the few lighted bikes I have had this particular headlight have used different style blocks, sometimes it was for fitment (like Bonanza used a smaller mount bolt for a better fit), but usually its just a hole drilled across the open fork plate.

Last edited:

markus

almost looks like the mount Powell used protrudes out so the shell can clear the trees better, dont think this style would give enough clearence, but I can see Powell fabricating thier own mount over a pre-built style considering the way they built the bikes.

the headlight itself was pretty standard starting the the late 60's with lighting coil engines. the SAE-M67 should mean that it was created in 1967 (or at least updated at that time) Plus they probably pulled too much juice to be run just off replaceable batteries. The universal kits usually were internally switched with off/on and high/low, That is how a few accessory kits I owned awhile back came and how I have found them on Bonanza and Heathkit I have owned and seen on a few others over the years as well. But the bare bones shells I think were just factory stamped top center for a high beam indicator which is what one switch untilized for the mini bike style kits. Both examples can be seen here: (Note the kit came without mount and 'Naza sold the mount separately) http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/s...ighting-kit-look-familiar.html?highlight=pmco

A lot of manufacturers, including Cushman fabricated and used this type of mount with KD869 headlights on motor scooters in the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. They usually also made a mount with a longer stud for use with windshields, canvas windbreaks, etc.

Last edited:

markus

Docdc is correct. That is a Fox style headlight mount. I have a NOS fox headlight setup and they use a switch for the high and low.
Yea I spotted how they did/sold them in the 1968 1969 photo's, Kills me because I have a 1967 campus and I need a headlight for it which of course is different :doah: so close but yet so far :laugh:

On another note, have you ever inquired with the original manufacturer about the headlight shells or parts for the 4600 light? I know you have had NOS ones in the past. I put 2 and 2 together the other day and figured out who it was, or part of anyway when I was looking at an earlier Battery pack NOS light kit I have. I haven't called and inquired yet, I doubt they would give a rats ass but somebody there has a soft spot for vintage/classic considering the collection they own.