Heald Hauler....Project "Time Burglar"

Not much to update, been working on it a little bit here and there. The seat is done and looks great! I tried to bleed the brakes last week, but when I filled the master cylinder with fluid it didn't flow. At all. I guess I should have torn it apart and checked first, it moved back and forth smoothly so I assumed it was OK, but as it turns out, it wasn't. The seals were both shot and the bore is a little iffy. I was able to get a rebuild kit for it, so we will see if it's save-able or not.

The biggest thing that has helped me with this project (and saving my back) was the purchase of a full sized motorcycle lift table. It has side extensions that fit the Hauler well, and is pneumatically operated so no more heavy lifting and bending over:thumbsup:

Well winter is here in full swing and of course the hauler isn't done yet. Big surprise. I did get it to roller status by the end of October, but winter (and everything else) have gotten in the way. I loaded a bunch of pics a little while back but it looks like they were lost in the changeover:confused:

Guess I'll try again...

I originally blasted the wheels and shot a quick coat on them but the old tires looked like total crap. They held air but the cracks were huge, and the front tire was the wrong size, and it turns out the front rim was bent pretty bad anyway. I ended up using the wheels from the parts Tryke, they were pretty crusty but nice and straight.

After a trip through the blast cabinet they came out nice and clean..

I ended up putting new rubber on the rear, and the front is a nice used tire with a tube inside. I had originally planned on using the rear tires for my Super Bronc, they are only two ply so we will see how well they hold up.

I also had new decals made up:thumbsup:

The latches for the bed are very simple, basically a bolt with two nuts to space it out. lot's of friction.

After repainting and straightening, when I reassembled the latches I added some flat washers and a little grease to aid in the movement, works nice and smooth now:thumbsup:

Mark, I've been re reading your Hauler restoration post. what a sweet job. It's spring of 2019, & I'm just finishing the paint removal on my '79 stake back. The budget won't allow a powder coat, but a well preped & primed rattle can job should last my lifetime at least. I could use a hand with the decals. if you'de be willing to share your artwork (clear scanable photo will do) I can check that off my to do list. Ipromise to pay it forward to other restorers on the bord. Thanks, Roger rhrepair@aol.com

UPDATE: So it's been a few years and the Hauler has been at a standstill. I've been busy with other things and finally got a few days to devote to it to get the last few details finished. I built a wire harness, got the brakes working (had to go with a new MC afterall) and got everything buttoned up. Ended up getting 3 new Duro tires so they would all match.
It runs real well, rides good. Plenty of power. Lights all work. I still have a few small things to finish but I've completed more in three days than I have in over half a decade. KIMG4508.JPG

Literally two weeks after this picture was taken, I ended up getting a different bed and ended up swapping it out. The paint doesn't quite match, so I have to "just respray it real quick"... We'll see how that goes;)

The new bed is in really good shape, no rust at all just a few dings here and there. Once I gave it a quick sanding I found the seat back mounts had some cracks. Looks like they were there before the last time it was painted.
crack.JPG

Ran some of the worst welds I've ever seen over it. Both of my helmets were on the fritz and it looks like my heat wasn't set right. That's my excuse anyway:p

After a little grinding it doesn't look too bad. crack2.JPG weld.JPG fixed.JPG

Got the bed and tailgate painted just in time to take it to a couple local car shows over the summer. It took my decal guy a while to get the new ones done, and I constantly had to tell people that it wasn't homemade. It would have been easier to just point to the drawing:p. It was worth the wait however, the new ones came out WAY better and match the OG colors perfect.

I have a ski for one of my Super Bronc's, I've used it on the bike in the past and it kinda sucked. More of a novelty, in reality the bike can go through about a foot of snow on it's own. Recently I took the Hauler out in some snow and it did okay, but a little boring. I slapped the ski on and it was a blast! It was hard to control on the ice, but in both groomed snow and powder it was bitchin!!

KIMG6495.JPG KIMG6491.JPG KIMG6497.JPG

Thanks guys. It's a lot of fun, AND handy. When I did the first bed I used one of the roll on bedliners, seemed pretty tough but turns out it was real slippery when wet. Did my swap meet wagon at the same time, and after a few years of dragging new treasures home it needs to be redone. Also, it was aggressive (sharp) so when you sat on it wasn't comfy. Ended up Hauling more people than anything this summer, and I like the look of the red better than the black of the old bed. I'll end up getting a foam mat and cut it to fit (or a large dog bed). In the meantime, it's just rattlecan paint and I've had to touch it up a few times already.