Heald Super Bronc

Hi All- I just purchased a 1972 Super Bronc. I am about to begin the restoration. This will be my first ever restoration- so I am hoping to get some tips where to start. I am not too worried about keeping everything stock- but here is what I plan to do:

New Engine- recommended one? I was looking at a Predator 13HP- is that too much?
Sand, Prime, Paint the Frame
New throttles for brake and Gas
Re-do Band Brake system? New Belt?
New chain #40
Exhaust Pipe, maybe need spark Arrester?
New Seat/Upholstery- ideally stencil logo on back
New Tires- plan to by the 21"x12"-8 Knobby

So- any direction would be appreciated. FYI I paid $500 for the bike- it is running. Probably not the best deal but I have wanted a Heald Bronc for quite sometime.

Where would you start on this restoration? Thanks everyone!

Attachments

Wow...that's a nice bike. I'd leave it original and ride it the way it is or restore it to all original.
Plan to make it look as original as possible w/ the seat and paint. Everything on it is stock. But I want this bike to take camping- to be able to get over and thru anything. The engine is quite old and I'd prefer a newer one..

Bud it’s whatever floats your boat...but that Tecumseh you show on that Bike is very adequate...probably needs a little attention...but in the end it’s yours do with it what you will...hell it’s got an electric starter...
For sure- I am more concerned w having a "clean" looking capable bike. The rust on the Tecumseh and the white color is off-putting to me. I plan to restore original blue w black engine and, white wheel wells, and black seat. I definitely want to buy another electric start. Do you recommend one? Thanks man

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
you can get tires for a reasonable price on ebay or amazon, there is a lady on here that makes a beautiful repop of the seats, i have 3 of her seats alone. @manchester1 ... the bike will hold up to the larger engine but may not fit well. you do not have the auxiliary fuel tank and they are quite expensive if you can find one. @chatten63 will have a lot of parts needed for a correct restoration. you will love the broncs ride on and off road. best of luck and keep us informed of progress, we love pictures around here.

No I have no recommendations...there are guys on here that run Chinese motors in them and I’m sure they’ll chime in by evening time....

Plan to make it look as original as possible w/ the seat and paint. Everything on it is stock. But I want this bike to take camping- to be able to get over and thru anything. The engine is quite old and I'd prefer a newer one..
It's your bike and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe the Hondas are better in quality, however for the price its hard to beat a Predator. I've never personally tried to retrofit one but I'm sure it's been done. You'll get some good advice here I'm sure.

you can get tires for a reasonable price on ebay or amazon, there is a lady on here that makes a beautiful repop of the seats, i have 3 of her seats alone. @manchester1 ... the bike will hold up to the larger engine but may not fit well. you do not have the auxiliary fuel tank and they are quite expensive if you can find one. @chatten63 will have a lot of parts needed for a correct restoration. you will love the broncs ride on and off road. best of luck and keep us informed of progress, we love pictures around here.
Thank you for all of this great information. I am definitely looking for a seat so will reach out. I'll make sure to send pics as I go along. I plan on stripping it down to the frame this week and starting the sanding process.

It is a heald vt8 or vt10 depending on the tecumseh hp. Would have originally been red.
You may find a local upholsterer who can salvage the rear panel of your seat (with logo), and replace the torn sections.
Braking, lighting, how to run exaust and gas tank are all issues when going to a predator...But can and have been addressed on this site.
I appreciate the ease of new (starting, dependability etc)...but would recommend staying original to the bike.
A rebuilt (or new knockoff) carb for the tec and some red paint (Farmall red I think), would probably get you down the road with a nice stock bike.

It is a heald vt8 or vt10 depending on the tecumseh hp. Would have originally been red.
You may find a local upholsterer who can salvage the rear panel of your seat (with logo), and replace the torn sections.
Braking, lighting, how to run exaust and gas tank are all issues when going to a predator...But can and have been addressed on this site.
I appreciate the ease of new (starting, dependability etc)...but would recommend staying original to the bike.
A rebuilt (or new knockoff) carb for the tec and some red paint (Farmall red I think), would probably get you down the road with a nice stock bike.
Thanks for the note. I plan to ditch the original seat. The guy I bought it off is a carpenter and made me the wood bottom with the same dimensions...all I should have to do is have an upholster put a cushion on and wrap/staple the leather.

Good to know about Predator...what about with Honda? It is a VT10. The owner said the blue is the original color? I guess the kits allowed the red you reference and blue? Thanks!

Ben - Karen's (Manchester 1) seats are incredible and are the only ones I would utilize for any of my SuperBroncs (6) or any of my other minibikes. Many years of experience in knowing her craft are shown in the quality of her work ! You'll understand when it arrives !

Ben - Karen's (Manchester 1) seats are incredible and are the only ones I would utilize for any of my SuperBroncs (6) or any of my other minibikes. Many years of experience in knowing her craft are shown in the quality of her work ! You'll understand when it arrives !
Thanks for the tip. I will be ordering one soon I'm sure. Quick question being that you have 6 of them....will a 22x11-8 tire work on the Super Bronc or do i need the 21x12-8? The latter is a little more expensive on Amazon...