Heald VT-3, OldMiniBikes Build Off, Vintage Class

That video put a smile on my face Doc.!! :smile: Very nice bike you built!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Jdogg,

So far this bike has needed almost nothing as far as set-up. In retrospect, I haven't had a bike so bug free off the bench. I do have one little nit to figure out but it's going to have to be warmer than this to fuss with it. The high speed is just a hair off. It's probably within a 1/4 or at most 1/2 turn and it will be good. Frankly I don't ride it full speed as the yard is too wet to go on yet so it's just not a problem at this moment. I wasn't 100% convinced I'd like the riding qualities at first but now I am so glad I did this one.

Right now it's tractor service time. Yesterday I got the blower off (used it only once this winter, Yehaw!!) and I am servicing the deck. I stole a 4hp 1967 Briggs off a tiller and I have to remotor that one and it's back to minibikes!!!!:laugh::scooter:. It will take me at least a week to get this stuff done and probably more like 2 so the weather needs to be good by then lol.

Doc

Two thumbs up from old OGY here Doc. You really do; do outstanding work. Have you ever considered doing a Fox Campus for your next project? I know it would be an excellent restoration. See you at Windber. Ogy

You did an awsum job on this build. Can't wait to see it in person.
Thanks Rick. Again, without your help this bike wouldn't be what it is. I owe you my friend.

Two thumbs up from old OGY here Doc. You really do; do outstanding work. Have you ever considered doing a Fox Campus for your next project? I know it would be an excellent restoration. See you at Windber. Ogy
Thank you Ogy. Windber can't come soon enough :laugh:. I still have a little project up my sleeve. I think I am close to having all of the parts. It's coming.

That Campus should restore real nice Doc. Let me know if you need any parts. I might be able to help. I'm ready for Windber too. Hopefully one without six inches of mud. Ogy

Thank you Ogy. I am going to have you look at something for the Campus at Windber and get your input. I'm going to want that one to come out like this Heald. I am praying and doing all kinds of pagan dances for dry weather for Windber :eek:. I'm not sure my boots can do another mud fest.

Hi David...Thank you! and I have to tell you I am NOT disappointed in the VT-10 you sold me. It's still right up there with this bike. I have two seriously good examples now of Heald products and I'm loving them. Since I have finished the build off bike it's always a big decision on which one I want to take a quick spin on LOL!

Doc

Last edited:
That's one fine Heald! Brought back to life with love. Nice work Doc.
Thanks! This was certainly with love. This was the hardest bike out of six complete restorations I've done where I just had to keep smacking myself. I wanted to see this one done so bad I had difficulty not getting ahead of myself and regretting a mistake made in haste. I have grown to love the Healds as much as the small wheel foxes.

Doc

Last edited:
5. There must be at least one update per month by each builder in each of your build threads in the 2016 Build Off. If you are completed with the build at any point, just post that your entry is complete and no further entries are required.
I was just re reading the rules for ya ya's and came across this.

From the rules:

My entry is complete.
No further entries are required.

That should just about put a fork in it.

My name is Doc and I approve this message.

Last edited: