Heald VT-3, OldMiniBikes Build Off, Vintage Class

First, thanks cheezy1 and mrpat for your time to do this. I have a Heald VT-3 bought from Ron Kimble's son about 2 months ago. It's missing some stuff but I am excited to get back to work on a mini after taking almost a year off. I'm still in the process of collecting parts but there is lots to do with this bike which is perfectly preserved with a loving coating of rust. I found the NOS engine near Mid Ohio Racetrack about a month ago for $125. I don't think I'll see another at that price. I have a lighted H50 but unfortunately it will not fit in the frame. Not even close. Hopefully this will be my Windber parade bike.

Doc

Nice start you have there Doc :thumbsup: I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that could show you how to put a lighted clone in there :laugh:

Doc, When I looked at your pictures a chill ran down my spine. I saw "two" sets of footpegs and thought; what if he leaves his golf cart at home this year and makes me ride around with him at Windber on the back of this. If that's what you're thinking then you had better gear that puppy so that it's capable of pulling out tree stumps. Otherwise; with two "huskies" like us on board we will only be riding downhill and pushing it uphill. Nice project Doc. It's not a Fox but I'll forgive you this time. Ogy

Ogy, Don't worry one second. I intend to make that golf cart a part of Windber lore. I was so busy delivering parts and bikes around the grounds that I should start a service :laugh::laugh::scooter:. Now you and I on this VT-3 would certainly make a photo op lol. AND....I know it's not a fox but the reality is I can't find a roller to save my neck. The first Trailbug roller I find, I'll be in heaven.

P.S. Your seat in the cart is always safe. You have honorary shotgun.

Doc

You do good work so I'm sure it will be a contender in the class, I like the VT3 a lot although my dream bike is a VT2c chopper but I'm certain I'll never find one but one never knows. The fact it's a Kimble family piece is cool, I talked to Ron at length once and a couple other times briefly and he's a wonderful example of an old school Gentleman. We did a few transactions and that was a cool experience doing business like it used to be, we need to make a hall of fame and induct the man into it. I'll be watching your progress.

Doc. Looking at your bike I am going to send you the early metal clutch cover not the fiberglass repop. Yours has the early small seat 1971-very early 1972 .I will get the box of parts out this week for you. It should use the early pensil style kick stand also. Looking forward to seeing this one built and at windber.

Thanks Rick. We'll have to talk about a Comet 30 series on here as I don''t think I am going to find a TC88 driver. I am good with converting as it will make it easier to maintain with available parts.

Doc

Dale. The comet 30 belt you will be needing is a 203591A. The center of driven to center of driver needs to be 7- 9/16"to 7-5/8" comet 3/4" bore driver and a outward 6" driven with a 5/8"bore. (Spring and helix ramp facing outside edge of bike )

The bike is apart and there are a few minor problems. First, as usual the front fender is cracked around the bolt holes. It shouldn't be too hard to fix then off to the platers with the chrome parts. Next, the hoop that holds the rear fender on has broken one of the welds and of course needs to be bent back in shape and welded. Murphy's law states that my torches will be behind 3 motorcycles which I have to move to get to the torches. That will be a job as I need help to move things around now. As soon as I address that, then the frame and wheels are off to the blaster.

I received a care package from my Patron Saint Rick Chatten today. Looks like I should have every part necessary to make this bike an accurate early VT-3. Rick, thanks for your kindness. The package you sent was amazing and exceeded all expectations.

I did find the serial number on the bike. It's 942. Unfortunately the records have been lost so there is no looking up an accurate build date.

Doc

Last edited:
Oy. I was lucky to have a young man stop by to help me get my torches out. So we moved everything around and pulled them out. I got the minibike frame out in the garage and set everything up to start bending the rear fender hoop back into shape. I figured maybe I could get the frame to the blaster tomorrow. Nope, nope, nope and nope. Turned the valve for the acetylene and empty. I thought this summer there was a small leak in the bottle valve. Now I proved it. We spent over an hour and a half trying to find someone still open and hey, 5:00PM is 5:00PM.

We decided to come home and get the tires off of the rims. Thank god for help because there was no way I was going to get this by myself. It took almost two hours. I was really happy to see that no water had gotten into the rims over the years. I've seen so many rims rusted from the inside. These look like no rust at all.

So, tomorrow to get a bottle of gas and maybe some metal work done to get it over to the blaster. I have lightened up a little. If I don't get it there till next week, nuthin' bad will happen.

Doc

Last edited: