Heald VT-3, OldMiniBikes Build Off, Vintage Class

I would drill it and tap it on the lathe :thumbsup: Much easier to make a small spacer than hope you cut the grove in the right place :shrug: Bike looks beautiful Doc :thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliments Papa and Chipper.

I already cut the groove into the shaft Wednesday morning Papa. It wasn't too difficult but grinding the bit took forever. I ground it to a straight cut off of .060 and the E-clip fits into the groove beautifully. I spent quite a bit of time with a helper marking the location and it's spot on. Just to let you know, if this had failed then there would have been a 5/16" NF thread put into the shaft. I always have that to fall back on if for some reason the E-clip should not work. I am grateful to the man who owns the shop who allowed me to come in and use his lathe. It's hard to find someone who will let you just walk in and use their equipment. I am going to buy him a bottle of Christian Brothers Brandy (his favorite) as I used his Bridgeport to drill the handlebars also. I sure don't want to abuse the kindness!

Doc

Last edited:
Wow. 77 days from start to a runner.

After drilling the engine for the 3/8" NF bolt, yesterday the final alignment and start up happened. I have to laugh. It took two people to drill the motor as I had no way to lock it down. So that left one guy drilling and one guy holding. My friend thought the level would be a good idea. I can assure the entire public...it's a thorough waste of time.

Here are the finished photos from this morning.

I'm sure there sill be a couple of things that need to be done as we ride it a little. As soon as I can figure out how to get the videos on here, I guess it will be officially done. At the moment the one last thing is to hook up the front brake. I have decided to ride this bike for a while before adding the handle and cable. It really doesn't work well anyway so I am good with that.

Doc

Here is a review of the bike.

This is by far the smoothest riding bike I have restored and owned. It's not the fastest by any means but speed isn't but one consideration of a bike. It is like Papa Bear, Momma Bear and Baby Bear. This one is just right. It fits an adult extremely well. It is pretty well mannered with no tendency to wheelie but you can bring the front wheel up if you want just by shifting back and a light tug on the bars. As usual the flat front tire profile makes turning a little more difficult but nothing you won't get used too. The rear brake will lock up if you get too aggressive. This is just a flat out nice bike.

I usually have my young friend take all of my bikes for the first ride. He's not 250lbs and his reactions are a lot younger than mine. So.....

Here is the video of the Maiden ride. He's riding slow as it's a new engine. Gotta break it in right. Also don't want to be going too fast if it's shedding parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4qd62rBGcs

Here is the second of five rides last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHvuXfez90M

I hope you like it.

Doc

Last edited:
I hear that , I poured 25 yards 2 years ago , I although happen to have a personal friend that owns a concrete plant so I get a bro-in-law deal , lol
I need one of those lol.

OK, it's time to say thank you to some people.

Rick Chatten. Certainly without you this bike wouldn't have happened anywhere close to what it is. Thank you for your time and all of your kindness. I am grateful.

Ron Kimble, Although he isn't on the boards he was also immeasurable help. Ron is a unique and special man and I am certainly better for knowing him.

To everyone else who contributed ideas, thank you. There are some truly talented people here and some great minds.

To Cheezy1 and Mrpat. Thank you for all of your work to make this contest happen and thank you for allowing me to participate.. You guys have done a yeoman's job so far.

And last for all of the support the members have given to date. It's always nice to hear an "atta boy". This is what makes the boards great.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Doc

Last edited:
Wow. 77 days from start to a runner.

After drilling the engine for the 3/8" NF bolt, yesterday the final alignment and start up happened. I have to laugh. It took two people to drill the motor as I had no way to lock it down. So that left one guy drilling and one guy holding. My friend thought the level would be a good idea. I can assure the entire public...it's a thorough waste of time.

Here are the finished photos from this morning.

I'm sure there sill be a couple of things that need to be done as we ride it a little. As soon as I can figure out how to get the videos on here, I guess it will be officially done. At the moment the one last thing is to hook up the front brake. I have decided to ride this bike for a while before adding the handle and cable. It really doesn't work well anyway so I am good with that.

Doc
I love that bike Doc....:thumbsup::thumbsup: You did one awesome job ! Oh and the videos are great to...I like the launch pad .:wink:

Well done. The bike looks awesome!

That is a winner right there.
Excellent.

Congrats on a beautiful job!!!! Well Done............:thumbsup:
Thanks guys!

Very well executed build Dale. I applaud your decision to run the snap rings on the JS. I enjoyed both videos, and wish you the best of luck.
Thanks Dave,

The snap rings worked out really well. It's seconds to take the driven off and I don't have to look for allen wrenches lol. It's a pretty clean set up.

So far we have probably a total of 45 minutes on the bike. I think maybe the engine has to be forward just a tiny bit. It seems like the driver isn't getting the belt all the way to the top. The 4hp certainly doesn't pull the bike like the 10hp VT-10 lol.

(3 years on the boards and I just learned how to multi quote :laugh:)

Doc

Last edited:
Thanks Mike!!

OK, ruling from the judges. I have to post a video of me on the bike. Just a warning for those with intestinal problems, this will be a video of a VERY large man on a little minibike lol.

I also forgot to put the kickstand up. I don't know what it is about this bike we keep forgetting :laugh:

Here goes...

Doc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg_oTi8mSsk