Heathkit Boonie Bike 2 speed - how it work?

if you were breaking that spring once a month, that's enough that i don't think i even want to go there with the whole idea. i'll change to a torque converter or heck even a clutch with no gear changing. taking apart that jackshaft, if i could find the springs, isn't something i would want to do every month anyway! If i can use the original clutch guard with the torque converter, that would be ideal in my eye.

on the kickstand i'm just going to weld a bracket for the $10 style kickstand that is readily available. i suspect the original is a bolt on type, and those are like $50 + on ebay. it's not worth it...
Back in the day, I rode my Boonie Bike until the engine wore out and I never had an issue with the two speed. I loved it. I used to shift it on the fly, too, by letting off the gas and coasting while shifting into high. Never had a problem. Too many people neglected it. TIG had to keep it relatively clean/lubed.

I was pretty rough on mine. I did a lot of drag racing against other kids in the neighborhood, I imagine I wasn't doing any letting off the throttle when shifting!