Heathkit boonie build

Hey guys new to the site. I was looking into buying a heathkit local to me . It’s a complete roller just needs an engine. It’s not gonna be a vintage restoration but will be powdercoatedand get new parts . It needs a Jackshaft, will any online kit work? I was looking at the adjustable weld on mounts . Also , any motor will bolt onto the chassis ? Lastly, I’ve been reading the rear brakes are garbage , what kit can I go with for better braking ? Thanks in advance.
Mike

I purchased this bike the other day . Like i said in previous post ,the sprocket is on the left side . The guy I bought it from did not have any info on the bike. I did notice the mounting holes have been slotted so I assume whoever had this ran it with a torque converter. Anyway I’m leaning towards running it with a jackshaft. It seems easier . I’m just going to be running in street and occasional flat dirt. I’ve read a ton of posts about the TC and jackshaft. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Lizardking

Welcome aboard! Post some pictures of your bike!

The Jack shaft will make your life easier when trying to line up sprocket to engine and a must when sprocket is on the opposite side of the engine shaft. Boonies are big bikes and would benefit from a torque converter.

I purchased this bike the other day . Like i said in previous post ,the sprocket is on the left side . The guy I bought it from did not have any info on the bike. I did notice the mounting holes have been slotted so I assume whoever had this ran it with a torque converter. Anyway I’m leaning towards running it with a jackshaft. It seems easier . I’m just going to be running in street and occasional flat dirt. I’ve read a ton of posts about the TC and jackshaft. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Hi,
Two buddies had these back in the day. They had a cable operated, 2-speed transmission which was their Achilles Heel, requiring constant maintenance and adjustment and, in the case of one, grenading entirely when a local bully "borrowed" the bike and power shifted it. I loved the look of the golf cart rear tire, ('hated riding behind it!) but the foot peg placement at the point where the frame downtubes turn aft was terrible! We rode in the desert and being able to stand on the foot pegs was imperative! When you stood up on one of these bikes, the handlebars hit your thighs and the only way to steer was by leaning!
I hope you find the information and parts you're looking for to get the old gal back on her feet! Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Haha that’s a good story. She’s coming along . I have to forks and fenders at my buddy’s for powdercoat. Gonna try and stick with original green. Im going go with an Jackshaft. Im leaning towards that with either a clutch or torque converter. Either way I’m doing away with the rear drum. I was able to clean and polish all the hardware and axles . Some new tires and bearings are coming also. My friend from work has a vintage Briggs he’s gonna sell me too. Probably a few months before it’s finished .

Last edited:

cfh

if you want to read more about the Heathkit boonie bike and some nice upgrades, check out
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/heathkitinfo.htm

the springer front end is a good mod. also a series30 torque converter instead of the stock 2speed stop-shift-go transmission is a must. And also change the front tire to a Chenshun so the turns aren't so "weird". i put on different handle bars too because the stock setup was not adjustable and also an odd bend.