Heathkit Hilltopper..

Hi All,

First post. I have a Heathkit Hilltopper which is in line for a 'just get it running' restoration. At some point in it's history, someone removed the torque converter and replaced it with a centrifugal clutch. Could someone recommend an aftermarket T.C. for this bike?

Thanks, Roland

Curious as to how you will incorporate the Comet 30 35 chain to your Hilltopper and what are you doing for a rear brake . The Hilltopper came with a Cat 99 torque converter attached to a jackshaft that had a band brake assembly on it . Did your bike have the jackshaft on it ? I will check to see if I still have the paint code for you . How about posting some pictures .

It has the jack shaft. I will take some pictures this weekend. I'm going to wear a steel shoe and ride it like a flat tracker. Won't need a brake.

toomanytoys

Any TAV 30 will work. Just make sure you get the right size belt for it, as if memory serves me right, the distance between the jackshaft and the motor is longer than the belt that will come with the above linked TAV.

Do you still have the original jack shaft mount? Easy enough to put a brake on the jack shaft.

toomanytoys

You still have everything for the jack shaft.

Like I said, get a 3/4" comet Driver and a 5/8" 7" driven and figure out the belt by the chart by using the center measurements. I restored my hill topper just like that. That little band brake stops on a dime and will give you change.

That's how it would of been set up as the factory(minus the OEM being a CAT99) The TAV 30 is an upgraded CAT99 in my mind as its a direct replacement.

That's a real nice looking Hill topper. Only thing you are missing is the original muffler...

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean TAV2 Series 30? Where Do I find that chart?

Also, do you have a link to the correct muffler

TNX,Roland..........

copyman

Thanks for the link. Where can I find a good matching paint for the H/K?

TNX................
The factory original paint was from 1970 Chrysler Imperial, etc, "Gold leaf". You can still get the paint from online paint match places.

The Hilltopper is my favorite bike. Have 2 of them. One of the main reasons it's my favorite is it's bigger size and adults don't look ridiculous riding it like the smaller Rupps, etc.

Thinking about selling one of my Hilltoppers. Not sure if I will sell the 100% correct bike which I don't ride often or the 85% correct that I ride weekly. Selling either one will hurt but need the space.

Take care

Last edited:

mustangfrank

I think this is the chart
The factory original paint was from 1970 Chrysler Imperial, etc, "Gold leaf". You can still get the paint from online paint match places.

The Hilltopper is my favorite bike. Have 2 of them. One of the main reasons it's my favorite is it's bigger size and adults don't look ridiculous riding it like the smaller Rupps, etc.

Thinking about selling one of my Hilltoppers. Not sure if I will sell the 100% correct bike which I don't ride often or the 85% correct that I ride weekly.

Take care
I sure hope the OP wasn't waiting 5 years for answers to his questions.