Heathkit or Allis Chalmers?

I would like to start by introducing myself. I am new to this forum. My name is Joe.

I am in the process of restoring an old mini bike. I am having a hard time identifying the manufacturer. a buddy of mine says it's an Allis-Chalmers. The guy I bought it from says it is definitely a Heathkit. The bike is not complete. It came with the frame, clutch and an 8 horse Briggs. (Not the original engine!)any help?

Click the picture for more pictures!

Hent

Hey Joe, welcome to the forum.

I think it's a Heathkit Boonie Bike

I only have one really crappy image of an allis-chalmers...

Maybe someone else on here has more information on this bike for you.

Hope this helps!

Actually, I have seen these pics, but I never noticed the forks on the Heathkit pictured. This distinctly proves that this is a Heathkit.

brakes

Hent,

One more thing: Is it unusual to have drum brakes on a minibike? I haven't see many with a drum on the back of it. Also, will I need a master cylinder for it?
If I ask any silly questions, let me know...lol. This is my first mini build.

Joe

P.S. Hent, where are you from? I'm in St. Louis.

kbs8ball

Welcome to the forum Joe...Its a boonie bike no doubt...there cool minis...I have one myself...if you have any questions I can help you out..also if you need a reproduction seat for it I can hook you up with that too....

Hent

Wilby,

I'm from Philadelphia, PA and San Jose, Costa Rica - I split my time between the two (more of CR lately, which keeps me away from my toys). So that definitely puts a damper on my projects! When I get back I'd like to finish up my girlfriends go-kart, and my columbia, then start on my Arctic Cat or other random frame I have.

I'll be at the Windber, PA show this year, you should try and make it there. There's a few other guys on this site right from your area....

Bike seat

8ball, Yes, I do indeed need a bike seat! This bike did not come with it. Also, I need advice on my fuel delivery system. I have a couple of old lawn mowers with fine carburetors on them. Not sure if it would work with my bike, though.

Joe

Thanks for all of the great help and advice everyone! You can bet I will be asking for more as I get into this project. How rare are these Boonie bikes?

Wilby, your 20 mins from me..I'm in Festus. I just got my electric back from the ice storm....shoot me an email...RuppParts@aol.com

Last edited:
Tim, I have the 1" heat press, 3/4" heat press and silver piping in stock............both 2 commonly used in the 60-70 minibke era. What appears to be gold now a days usually was silver back when new.....it appears gold now due to the clear coat yellowing on the piping.

We silkscreen all our logos to the seat covers. That way it is permanent and will not crack or wash off when it gets wet.

Last edited:

kbs8ball

I have an original seat on my boonie bike, The pleats arent spaced 1" or 3/4"..its more like 1 3/8" spacing...and its not just a flat heat pleat it actually has a thread look pressed in right down the center of the pleat..(special tooling im sure)... I also have the correct gold and silver piping in stock....I havent done the heathkit logo... its a bit to intricate for a masking tape stencil...and for what its worth..I use a vinyl paint spray can...its durable and does not wash of with water...I sprayed the top of a bar stool months ago....it shows no signs of wearing off as of yet and it get used everyday...