Heathkit owners, help

Having some issues getting my axle shafts alignment so the wheel is center. The wheel wants to move right and left on the shaft. The drum break bolts to the frame but with it bolted there is no way for me to add the inner nut to set the play. I have to keep shimming the axle shaft and this is causing all kinds of issues. What am I missing here? When I got the bike the brake drum was attached by a solid rod connection (not to the frame). I have done away with that in replacement for a foot cable brake but that's not my issue it is like something is missing that I can adjust the wheel with or I am doing it wrong.

I have the brake drum assembly, 4 nuts and 2 washers. Am I missing something here?

Thanks all :)

Last edited:
On the drum side there is a spacer between the backing plate and sprocket . The other side has a small spacer to ride betwwn the bearing sleeve and the adjuster nut on axle then a washer and then another nut on the axle on the outside of the frame . Maybe some one can post a picture from the build sheets .

On the drum side there is a spacer between the backing plate and sprocket . The other side has a small spacer to ride betwwn the bearing sleeve and the adjuster nut on axle then a washer and then another nut on the axle on the outside of the frame . Maybe some one can post a picture from the build sheets .
Ok I am missing some stuff..lol It would be awesome if someone had the build sheet or the size of the spacers so I can get this guy wrapped and done :)

It goes like this from left to right.
locknut (5/8), washer, axle hanger, jam nut, wheel assembly, jam nut, brake assembly, axle hanger, washer, locknut.
The 5 inch bendix doesn't bolt onto the axle hanger. Theres just a couple of studs that fit into the holes in the
backing plate. You push those studs into the backing plate, and the whole thing just fits right on.

It goes like this from left to right.
locknut (5/8), washer, axle hanger, jam nut, wheel assembly, jam nut, brake assembly, axle hanger, washer, locknut.
The 5 inch bendix doesn't bolt onto the axle hanger. Theres just a couple of studs that fit into the holes in the
backing plate. You push those studs into the backing plate, and the whole thing just fits right on.
Are you saying the brake drum bolts to the inner wheel?