Heavy duty cast aluminum rod?

Was looking at performance parts and found a cast aluminum high performance rod. I have seen these in a few places. Any one run these. I found a stage 1 kit that has a PLV cast flywheel, 18LB springs and the heavy duty aluminum rod. I already have a billet rod and my flywheel but am wondering for the next build as I am going to have an extra motor soon and after my build I might have 2 extra motors, 1 running and one that is parted out and missing a few parts.

Hey thanks for the link. Might have been a box stock rod. There is almost no information on a lot of peoples pages about the parts they sell. It is frustrating. Looks like the box stock rods are factory rods that were heat treated. They say T6 treated so I looked up what that meant. I will try one out in the next build if there capable of 5,800-6,000K with out braking.

Appreciate the link. They have an aluminum flywheel for $40. Nice.
Are you talking about the GX160 flywheel? Cuz if so I have one for my build. It looks good. I can take a picture of how the magnet is attached for you if your curious. I was curious about its durability in a mild build with out the governor and bought one. I also just bought the whole Box Stock motor and am going to try the cast BSP rod as well on my mini bike build with some GX140 springs and stock cam, not the BSP cam. I want to know if the motor will hold up to having the governor removed using only $60 worth of parts instead of the $180 worth of stuff every one keeps recommending.

SAS289

I was referring to the flywheel on boxstockproject.com. You could see it in the the new products section. I am assuming it is for GX200/clones but they were not specific.

"OEM Cast Aluminum Flywheel for Box Stock Project engines. It's BALCO certified and spin tested to 10,000 RPM's. Weight is 3.18 pounds."

That was the only info they gave. I like your "$60 worth of parts" question. That would be good to know.

Are you talking about the GX160 flywheel? Cuz if so I have one for my build. It looks good. I can take a picture of how the magnet is attached for you if your curious. I was curious about its durability in a mild build with out the governor and bought one. I also just bought the whole Box Stock motor and am going to try the cast BSP rod as well on my mini bike build with some GX140 springs and stock cam, not the BSP cam. I want to know if the motor will hold up to having the governor removed using only $60 worth of parts instead of the $180 worth of stuff every one keeps recommending.
Spoiler alert:

It will.

I hate to tell y'all (I would never condone it) but before I knew of the potential hazards. I was spinning the stock cast flywheel and stock rod to 7300. I didn't know it until I got a tach ... Then that got me to thinking. Then I bought a flywheel and locked up a couple of stock rods spinning it to 8k on accident :D

So now that everything is billet I let her go to 10.

That's what I figured. I might try to use a governor still but have it limit the RPMs to 5K or a little under. Not sure yet. Going to put a few motors together. I kinda started building a second motor before finishing the first one. I have a billet rod but want to see for my self if it was needed for what I was planning on doing. I needed the rod for the length more than the strength. Putting it in a bored out block with the predator piston in it. The 160 flywheel I have is aluminum. Its magnet looks like the billet flywheel magnets. It was only $40. Looks like it moves some air though and might have some drag at high RPM from it moving more air than needed. I will buy a tach for my mini so I can test things. Going to try shimming some stock springs first before the 140 springs. I am actually going to build a motor using a mix of only factory stock and modded parts. I just ordered a champion valve cover last nigh to add to the stock mod parts list. As of right now though I have a counter top full of parts and no running motor or a mini bike :(

There is no such thing as a cast aluminum gx160 flywheel .... What you got was a gxv160 cast wheel off a vertical shaft motor ... The stock rod will hold up for a while racers have to use them in the stock classes and change them regularly .. they will gall the journal and break if a quality oil is not used or left unchecked ... Any stock flywheel pushed past its limits can be a hazard the magnet can come loose clip the coil and turn it into a bullet or it could just come apart ... If you don't mind projectiles or buying another motor by all means save the initial investment and knock yourself out

Really hard to beat this billet rod from ARC the dipper is drilled and forces oil in to the rod bearings as the engine spins....for high rpm's this is the only way to go for any long time runs on your engine. We have to run the stock rods in are karts in certain classes and like Tim said they have to be changed frequently.

Cheap Insurance for your engine !

I was curious if the flywheel was from the GXV because I have a GXV160 on my lawn mower and it looks aluminum but also looks like it has standoffs or something sticking up so was unsure. There are 4 aluminum pieces sticking up and was assuming they were attached to the flywheel. Are there any other good pieces on my GXV mower motor I can use on a GX200? If there are I might use it for parts and put a new cheep predator motor on the mower :)

Good looking out on the rod guys. I will save the cast piece for a different build like maybe a go-kart. I have a nice billet +.020 rod but did not want to use it in my BSP motor. I also don't want to have the motor come apart at 40 MPH though either. I will just buy an extra rod for the BSP then. I appreciate the advice thanks for the help.

The stand off is not attached guys use these flywheels as cheaters because you can paint them white and they look like a stock plastic fin to get past tech ... Nothing else is usable .. leave it on the mower

BWL

I wondered about this. I just bought a BSP motor for my next mud motor build and wondered if the heat-treated rod would hold up. Looks like the best deal is the ARC rod since mud boats are usually hauling 500 lbs of gear and holding higher RPM all the time.

:freakout: :freakout: :freakout: I just looked up what a mud boat was. Might be my next project now. That's awesome. Looking at my billet rod I can see what the guys are talking about on the oiling. Even on a motor with the governor I could see the rod being a good idea just for the oiling system it has.

BWL

trinik. Nothing. My Champion is running like a Champ. As seen here: [video=youtube;RgEm8yyB4Ms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgEm8yyB4Ms[/video]

I've decided build a new powerhead, but keep the Champion bone stock and unchanged. That way I'll always have a powerhead at the ready. If the new built motor blows up, It'd take all of 10 minutes to mount the Champ back on.