Hello

Hi Guys,

Just signed up. I am from Detroit, but have lived here in CA over 30 years.

I used to live in Livonia and scavanged parts from the Lil Indian factory and built my own. That was a long time ago. I have grey hair.

Just bought a frame off ebay and and going to build an electric mini bike with a series wound winch motor. Here in CA "green machines" are looked upon favorably and I can ride on the street with no license.

I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head, but I like to build stuff, so why not?

I'll post ome pics as the stuff arrives and I begin construction.

Have fun!

hello welcome to OldMiniBikes :thumbsup: .
neat idea building a electric mini . why the series wound winch motor tho? i would think it would be easier to go with a electric scooter motor . there set up with the sprocket drive and mounts .

It was a hundred bucks, had a 3/4" shaft with a keyway just like a gas engine. Also rated 2.5 HP and series wound motors have a huge amount of starting torque available.

I was working on various field weakening schemes to limit the starting torque, but then I found a used 275 amp motor controller on ebay, so that will make life easier.

This thing is going to be heavy. The motor weighs 20 lbs and the batteries weigh in at 80.

Wow, it's been 8 years...

A lot happened. Pops died and I retired. The old frame I was working just rusted in the shed. I gave it to a kid down the street after I pictured me shoehorned on the tiny thing with 2 big batteries on the motor plate and the motor hanging from the top of the frame. I saw hospital time.

I bought a 2 HP permanent magnet motor and I still had the golf cart controller and I ordered up one of those El Lobo frames which are larger. Also ordered up a 24 volt 30 AH LiFePO4 Ping battery that weighs 15 pounds and will fit under the seat, so the project is on! Just can't forget all the fun I had as a kid (8th grade) with my Lil Indian.

But I have to do a lot of "home improvement" stuff before I start building or the wife is gonna be pissed.

I'm amazed at the skills you guys have and have been enjoying the build off thread much. Soon I'll have some pics of my electric mini bike build to share with you.

I can't wait to see your bike built! And it was very nice of you to give your old frame to a youngster to start their Motorcycle, tinker, mechanic, Engineer.. story who knows where it will lead!!

Thanks guys!

Here is a clip from the CA DMV laws regarding "mopeds" and a big reason I'm going electric;

A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is:
  • A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:
    - Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
    - A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
    - An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406(a))
Driver must have a motorcycle license (M1 or M2).
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
- Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC §12804.9).

• A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.

By my calculations the thing should have a max speed of 28 mph so I'll be able to ride in the street w/o a ticket. Speaking of tickets I did get 2 for riding my mini bike in the street back in Michigan when I was 15.