Help! ATV running on choke.

bruces

Carb is gummed up from the bad ethanol fuel that is readily available now .Pull the carb and clean it out thoroughly ,the tank and lines should be cleaned out as well .

Littlebear

More specifically, you probably have a plugged pilot jet/circuit. My DRZ-400.does the same thing every once in a while. Clean the pilot jet, all good again. :)

I'm not sure which one that is. I would like to get a service manual but it is $100 total. Do you kniw of any websites that sell service manuals.
Thanks for replying to my thread LittleBear

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/atv/2005/bruin-350-4x4-yfm35fat/carburetor
If this is the correct diagram, your pilot jet is #36. You may need to use a small piece of wire and compressed air to clean the orfices in the jets well. I did see some new carbs online for $30-40 doing a search. Also as bruces said, fuel these days doesnt last. Try a bit of fuel stabilzer in gas if you havent been. I notice a difference with mine with stabilizer as it sets months at a time before I ride it. Hope this helps get ya runnin!:)

Also I might add that my bike still runs/rides normal when it happens but you just cant turn the choke off. I guess I could look at it as just another kill switch.:oops: lol. Good luck. Let us know how it goes! Oh yeah. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks you so much for the info. I searched google with this question not very helpful results. This forum is great.
Anyway so I will get fuel stabilizer is Sta-bil a good brand?
I might just get a new carb.

Sta-bil has a good reputation. I've discovered that I'd rather avoid cleaning carburetors on all of my equipment every year, so switched to gasoline with no alcohol. It's more expensive, but vastly superior with regard to how my engines run, and it does not allow water to develop. Sta-bil is a "lay up" product by the way. If you're running it every day, you dont need it. When you put it away for the winter for example, remove what you can, fuel line or bowl, and hose in some WD 40.

Thanks I guess that sums up what I am to do- replace pilot jet then run only non-ethanol fuel.
I use my atv about once or twice a week. Is that enough to ruin the carb if I run ethanol fuel in case of out of non-ethanol.
Thanks again for all the info. I am only thirteen and just starting to get into mechanics so it is really helpful to have advice from experienced people.

bruces

If you are using the machine a few times a week ,you will be fine with the poor gas .When you let it sit for weeks at a time it’s just going to become a problem .

Give the pilot jet you have a cleaning and give it a shot. When its clean you will be able to see light through the small orfice. My bet is that it will be just fine if cleaned. We also forgot to mention to run a small fuel filter between the tank and carb. I prefer using a translucent/clear one to be able to see if there is any pollutants/sediment in the fuel. There are lots of cheap options available. Also, a huge thumbs up to you for your interest in mechanics and riding at your age. To many kids these days playin the video games and stayin inside. The skills you are learning will serve you well for your lifetime regardless of what you decide to do for a living. Congrats! Hope ya stick with it!