Help, can’t seem to figure out what it is...

Hi guys... I’ve lurked around here for a while now. I’ve had this old mini bike for several years. My kids have tried to wear it, but it just keeps on going. I’d really like to do a nice original restoration on it this winter, but I just can’t come up with what it is. It has a ‘60’s B&S 2hp. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Don

Attachments

markus

its a Fox, That one you have is from the mid 70's 1973 or newer (you can tell by the wheel style, footpegs, and kickstand) Heres a nice original example, that was stickered with the scamp decaling. Your fenders are modified on and they originally used a small HP tecumseh

Fantastic! Thank you very much for the info. I can actually see some red paint through the yellow, so that makes sense too. I would assume the friction break on the rear tire must have been added at some point. It actually does really well at its job. I had originally thought of trying to make it very original, but the little B&S engine runs so well I can’t really see a reason to pull it. So I think I will just do a nice restoration on it with this engine and the friction brake. I’ve had this for five or six years and I have to say, it was one of the best $75 purchases I’ve ever made. Lots of fun with the kids and my son, especially, has learned a lot about engines with it. Every kid ( or big kid ) should have a minibike.

Thanks again!

markus

correct, the scrub brake is an add on. the weird bracket on the left side that part of the axle adjuster is for the disc brake it originally had. they are great little bikes but even the nicest original or restored correctly wont come close to what they are worth, given the custom touches and OG parts its missing I would go the same route with it. If you have access to a welder I would just re position and clean up the current fender mounts and and maybe re work the scrub brake assembly just so its a little cleaner and factory installed looking (pull the disc brake bracket off it all together) and it would have much more a factory look and feel to it.

Have fun with it!

I think I will do just that. The welds on the fender brackets are a bit rough. Repositioning and cleaning them up shouldn’t be a problem. Same for cleaning up the brake area.

Thanks again for the advice!