Help Setting An HS50 Governor

Hi,

I am putting a HS50 back together but I have NOT been into the crank case. I have put an intake assembly, throttle assembly, muffler and gas tank back onto it.

With the help of Fantic Freddie We started this motor on the ground. 3 pulls and she fired right up, no smoke! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The problem is this governor will not let this engine idle down. It stays at full throttle and will not move from there. I have adjusted the Governor arm through the complete range and nothing. I can push the governor arm to idle and that works but the second I let it go, back to full throttle.

I did NOT adjust the part that clamps to the internal shaft. That I left alone. The shaft has flat spots to hold with pliers to adjust that part on it. Those flats are what I call vertical as on my other tecumseh engines.

This is a pretty bad explanation I am sure but any help would be appreciated. I have adjusted it to the manuals directions several times and nothing.

Thanks

Doc

Do you have the rod in the write hole sounds like it maybe in the wrong hole on the carb . That can pull them to full throttle . What do you have for throttle hook up a mini bike assy try un hooking that and just run the motor governor free and see if it still tries to pull throttle . By governor free still hooked up to the carb and shaft into the block but free from the speed control that shoul send it to a idel.

Last edited:
Do you have the rod in the write hole sounds like it maybe in the wrong hole on the carb . That can pull them to full throttle . What do you have for throttle hook up a mini bike assy try un hooking that and just run the motor governor free and see if it still tries to pull throttle . By governor free still hooked up to the carb and shaft into the block but free from the speed control that shoul send it to a idel.
No, sadly everything is where it should be. The top of the governor arm has two holes in it. I've used both with absolutely no change. The engine can run fine using either hole. BUT...no, everything is as it should be.

Sorry for the lesser quality pictures. The lens on the camera has broken. If anyone needs better quality then I will get the Nikon out.

Doc

Last edited:
I'm trying to remember what somebody told me. With the engine off, loosen the screw/bolt on the bottom of the governor arm. Push the governor arm all the way over (throttle open) and then tighten the screw/bolt. Hope that makes sense. Worked perfect on a couple engines I couldn't keep running when put under strain.