HELP! Sticky Throttle

Hi all,
I just purchased a mega max 212 from Walmart. Everything works right except that the throttle sticks when its cold. I did have a problem with it when I first rode it. It would stick for a second and then go back to idle. after I rode it for 3 hours it didn't stick at all. But this morning I went out for a little ride and it was sticking for 5 seconds at a time. I understand that these are cheap throttles.
  1. I just want to know is it normal for a throttle to stick in the cold?

Check the 10mm nut on top of the throttle assembly, may need to be loosened up a tad bit , check return spring too
It's not the throttle assembly on the engine. That one snaps back automatically at all times. It's the actual handlebar throttle. And it works fine after a little bit of use. Just sticks when it's cold.

It's not the throttle assembly on the engine. That one snaps back automatically at all times. It's the actual handlebar throttle. And it works fine after a little bit of use. Just sticks when it's cold.
Take it apart, (don't lose the lock washers like I always do) and look for the area where it's rubbing. Could be a bit of cast flashing that needs to be removed with a small file, or sand paper. I like to use a bit of lithium grease on the inside, and some light oil on the throttle cable. Also, in some instances they can hang up on the handle bar if the chrome is thick, or if the assembly is mounted too far up the bar, and binding at the end of the bar.

Li'l Popeye

1. I just want to know is it normal for a throttle to stick in the cold?
No, it's not normal for a throttle to stick in the cold.
It's probaby caused by lack of quality control in China.
What I would do: check the entire way of the cable from engine till the handlebar. Disconnect the cable from the handlebar, to see if it's caused by handlebar or cable.

chrisr

Havasu Dave has some good guidance for you "Take it apart, (don't lose the lock washers like I always do) and look for the area where it's rubbing. Could be a bit of cast flashing that needs to be removed with a small file, or sand paper. I like to use a bit of lithium grease on the inside, and some light oil on the throttle cable. Also, in some instances they can hang up on the handle bar if the chrome is thick, or if the assembly is mounted too far up the bar, and binding at the end of the bar".

So, My MMB-80 has the same problem, but it sticks to the point were I have to shut it off. I put WD40 on it still sticks! I cleaned the area were the throttle stuff is and its still sticking, so if any of you know how to fix this problem please tell me.
My throttle kept doing this even after I lubed and tried everything.
I ended up getting a new one from them and that one didn't work.
I guess something must have been wrong with the throttle because I just bought a mmb212 ( with cvt) and the throttle works great.
So what I'm saying is try to fix it but it may be worth your time just to get a new one.

My throttle kept doing this even after I lubed and tried everything. I ended up getting a new one from them and that one didn't work. I guess something must have been wrong with the throttle because I just bought a mmb212 ( with cvt) and the throttle works great. So what I'm saying is try to fix it but it may be worth your time just to get a new one.
My throttle kept doing this even after I lubed and tried everything. I ended up getting a new one from them and that one didn't work. I guess something must have been wrong with the throttle because I just bought a mmb212 ( with cvt) and the throttle works great. So what I'm saying is try to fix it but it may be worth your time just to get a new one.

You may be right just for me to get a new one, I was just out there working with it and I took off the throttle cover on the handlebars and the cable was frayed to the point that there was just a string left, so I think I will first try to buy a new cable, But if that does not work I will have to think about getting a new one.

You may be right just for me to get a new one, I was just out there working with it and I took off the throttle cover on the handlebars and the cable was frayed to the point that there was just a string left, so I think I will first try to buy a new cable, But if that does not work I will have to think about getting a new one.
Sounds like a plan!
A bad cable will definitely make your throttle not work.