help w tav 2

hello i have a tav 2 mounted to my predator hemi, my predator has had the governor removed... the front drive? engages just enough to get my scooter moving pretty good and its opening up halfway at best, the tav is pretty new, been riding bike around with it just hadnt opened it up during the motor break in period, any help is appreciated

TAV is RPM dependent

The more the engine revs the more the driving unit will come out and pinch the belt and push it outwards causing the driven unit to open up and let the belt sink once the spring preload is overcome.

My 2cents.

Some one else with more knowledge will come by and explain it better.

So as long as you feather the throttle you will get mild engagement of the TAV front drive unit.

PS here is a link with some great info, go to the end of the page,

Comet Drive Belts | Belts for Comet Torque Converters

Jaime

Last edited:
i watched the video says preload a half turn clockwise, ive seen other sources saying to preload a third of a turn counter clockwise, my masterlink broke this morning i notice with out the chain the tav 2 is doing what its suppose to do, put the chain back on it engage about half way at the most, the motor and torq a verter is mounted to a suzuki tc100 enduro, using the motorcycles front sprocket (modified to fit tav)
a 428 chain and the motorcycles stock rear sprocket, she does 40mph at the moment so if i ever get this problem figured out im expecting at least another 10 or 15 mph

Yea it is confusing on the preload

I think it all has to do about which part of the driven pulley is been held and turn.
If you hold the back one it will be clockwise on the front one.
Then if you hold the front one it will be counterclockwise on the back one.
You end up with the same result. Preloading will wind the spring down instead of expanding it.

There maybe something to do with the driving clutch unit springs, here is where I run out of gas.
There are different strengths depicted by the color of the springs.

Jaime