Help with a build 223

delray

not sure how fast you are thinking john. motor we showed up this year at your event was last year's motor that turns 8400+ on a 28mm carb with a 330-350 main. main sometimes gets move around. weather, motor setup...etc...

So that cam has .265 lift with stock 1:1 ratio. even with 1:1.2 ratio rockers its only .318 theoretical lift which is not enough to adequately utilize a 32mm intake.

delray

So that cam has .265 lift with stock 1:1 ratio. even with 1:1.2 ratio rockers its only .318 theoretical lift which is not enough to adequately utilize a 32mm intake.
think john said the 275 lift ole4. if he doesn't purchase your head. think he wants to go with a shredder 28mm

Last edited:

delray

That build is with the stock valve sized, non Hemi head. I think it would carry out a better with a better head
yes, with a better head and you also have a 58mm stroke, that dyno showing only a 55mm stroke. your engine should be little better. thumb1.PNG .
for rpm's ? should still have about the same power range just with little bit higher numbers. get somewhat of a idle how much stronger. well gray's bike you rode for example. you should pull much harder with your motor setup and using a direct drive system(clutch) over using a tav like he had.

Johnwesley

yes, with a better head and you also have a 58mm stroke, that dyno showing only a 55mm stroke. your engine should be little better. View attachment 292718 .
for rpm's ? should still have about the same power range just with little bit higher numbers. get somewhat of a idle how much stronger. well gray's bike you rode for example. you should pull much harder with your motor setup and using a direct drive system(clutch) over using a tav like he had.
Which clutch are you running. I looked for a drum in the price you gave but didn’t pull up much. If I get it built by the Springfield mile I’ll bring it up to Marks and get it dynoed to get an idea of the curve and peak hp rpm.

delray

track like LE ROY about 3200 stall and anything larger maybe think about dropping it down little. comes with 4 black springs or 4 whites springs.
for example you run 2 whites across from each other and 2 blacks and give you about 3200 or run all whites and give a 2600+ stall. and you can purchase other color springs for different engagements. something i notes the chart can be off little on engagement/rpms. well with my bike... lol
clutch chart  inferno.PNG

Last edited:
Got the short block together and put the stock head on to break in the cam. Everything seemed to work good but the crank was hot to the touch. you could hold on to it for a bit but not sure how warm the crank should get and if I should be looking for a cause. Hope ya’ll can point me in the right direction.

Got the head in and going back together with it. Got to make sure the rocker geometry is on and measure the lift. The intake port is slightly larger than the carb so I gotta figure out if I want to run it that way or not. After it was all put together it ended up at 0.004
3EDE2997-7366-406F-9D58-956B8BD3664C.jpeg

Last edited:
trying to get the rocker geometry correct so I put the dial indicator on the valve to measure lift. Sitting at 0.27365 ;) I believe that about right on the geometry. I guess I could check the pattern on the lash cap and make sure everything is centered as quality assurance check.

and yes the dail was running backwards for those who are paying attention

B2D22C92-BF87-4E88-9197-20D173EBFD13.jpeg