Help with a Tav2 rear wheel sprocket set up

All,

I have an AZUZA (Well sort of) with a Tecumseh OHH60 6 HP motor. I am running a TAV2 Torq-A-Verter. The rear wheel sprocket is 60 Tooth using #35 chain. The problem is WHEELIES! This bike will wheelie with the slightest input of throttle! We aren't talking a 2" wheelie we are talking dump you on your butt wheelie! Even with the side car mounted I can do a full wheel stand with no problem at all. This bike is for kids, so I don't care about speed. It will be driven on flat roads, not much hill climbing.

Questions

* What can be done to help tame it down?

I have the throttle restricted for now but would like better drivability on the starts.

Thanks in advance!

Hec

IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_4101.JPG

Last edited:
ha.. had the same problem when I bought my lil indian chopper a few yrs ago. first time I hit the throttle I flew it over backwards. first time I had the tav2. I learned.. lol. not sure what you can do to stop it.. just ease the throttle..

CarPlayLB

A 60 sprocket will help. You will also gain a bunch of speed! Make sure your brakes are in good shape!

I have an Animal with a bit over 9HP on a Murray. #41 chain with a 10 tooth on the TAV2 and a 54 on the wheel. It will pull the wheel up when rolling at 15MPH...pucker factor!

Thanks guys,

I just pulled the Cover off the TAV2 to see what spring hole the spring is in on the driven sheave. It's in hole #1 so I guess it's as tame as its going to be. Maybe I should start looking at a 3 or 4 HP engine.:doah:

Hec

Last edited:
Change your front sprocket to an 11t or 12t, this will cut the torque down. Less than $15 fix for 1 sprocket. The downside side is that you will get more top end.

You now have a 6:1 ratio. 11t will get you about 5.5:1. 12t will get you about 5:1, 13t = 4:6 to 1.

I have no idea what your top speed will end up at.

Rufus,

The TAV2 is stock, so I believe it has the 12T sprocket already in it as I am using #35 chain. I will check. I don't believe Comet offers anything larger.

Hec

I have a Lil Indian clone with 6.5 predator, wit the gearing @ 5.5:1 it was a wheelie machine, I just changed the gearing to 4.6:1 and that seemed to calm down the wheelies. If you can change your gearing then restrict the throttle to limit top speed that might do it for you.

If that doesn't work fill the front tire with Lead:laugh:

2SlickNick,

Is this a bearing house type of item? I can't seem to find anything larger for the TAV2 than the 12T. I have found smaller ones though. Could you provide a source for the larger sprocket?

Thanks

Hec

2SlickNick

Well damn... I was wrong. Maybe it wAs they don't make less than a 10t #35.

But I can't seem to find any "C" type sprockets larger than 12T... Dohh

All,

I appreciate the time you guys took to try and find me a sprocket. At this time I have everything ordered to install a 53T sprocket on the rear wheel. Hopefully it will reduce the torque enough. I'll keep ya posted.

On a side note: I did notice that my stamped brake drum/sprocket is a bit distorted. If I watch the rear wheel rotate, I can see that the brake drum runs true but the sprocket has a decent amount of run out. It's like its egg shaped instead of round. If I tighten my chain too much and run the motor while the bike is on the center stand (love the center stand!:thumbsup:), I can watch my frame flex a little when the chain tightens up as the sprocket comes around to that spot. Hopefully this new drum/sprocket combo will be true all the way around!

Hec

All,

I received the new 4-1/2" brake drum and 53T sprocket yesterday. The assembled brake drum and sprocket are the exact width of the stamped drum/sprocket it replaced. I was worried about the sprocket being offset since it bolts on the drum. This sprocket runs very true as compared to the old one. The 53T sprocket did reduce the bikes tendency to wheelie and has allowed me to decrease the amount of throttle restriction. So the engine is now being allowed to rev up more! I think it will work out fine now. I did ride the bike without the side car and removed all throttle restrictions. All I can say is that this bike is very fast! Wow! I didn't GPS it but I am guessing I was in the 40's!

Here is a couple of pics.

03.29.16a.jpg

03.29.16b.jpg

Hec