Help with Briggs ID

Hello
I purchased a short block in great condition but The seller did not know what horse power the engine is and i’m Not good enough yet to ID the engine by the specs.What I know is the stroke is 2 3/8 and the bore is 2 9/16.Can anyone tell me the hp from these specs?
Thank You
Jay

The engine block is to small for a 5hp.The block is the same as the 3hp.Sorry, not sure how to do the pic thing yet.I’m fairly still new here.
Thank you
Jay

Last edited:
Is the cylinder head on it? If so it’s cast into the bad in a fin. Find that number and it will narrow things down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markus

The engine block is to small for a 5hp.The block is the same as the 3hp.Sorry, not sure how to do the pic thing yet.I’m fairly still new here.
Thank you
Jay
you sure on those measurements? Particularly the stroke-I don't think you can obtain those kind of numbers out of the bottom end of a typical 3hp sized block. They had a late model engine that was a 90000 series with a larger piston in it but still close to the early version 3hp sized engines.

I can’t be positive about the measurments.They were listed with the engine As part of the discription when I purchased it on eBay.I though it was worth $25 because it is like new.I will pull the head off and measure myself and give better info with some pics.I should have done that first instead of taking a short cut.I will add to this thread when I get my $hit together.
Sorry
Jay

That bore size = to a 90000 - 9K400 or a 100700 series........ Great lil engines.... You mentioned in your post that it was a short block then you said it had a head on it... All short blocks I have bought new didn't come with a head on it...

Let us know Mon Ami .......

Here are some facts about this engine.The bore is 2 916” and the stroke is 2 7/16”.When pulling the engine apart all of the bolts were just snug nothing tightened to proper specks.There was no sump cover gasket in place.The engine is a military green color with a M raised on the sump cover.The engine is also set up for a magnetron,no points.
With the help of Boudreaux in La. here is what we think the engine is.Series 9000,9k400,or10700 and a 3hp. Believe it could be a military grade engine used for training purposes because of all the lose bolts and the lack of gaskets.These are called shop engines and sometimes have a defect that students are required to find. This engine has a bent exhaust valve.Everything seems to point to this being a training engine or “shop engine”.

Last edited: