Help with clutch

Ok, soak it with some kind of oil and slowly try to pry it off. If a prybar won't work, then a gear puller might help. Most auto parts stores will rent them or loan them for free.

I'll give it a shot, I'm new to this so I have no clue but when removed would I be able to put a new clutch on it or does it have to have a keyway on the shaft? Or a threaded hole at the end of the shaft?

Will do! After that is removed am able to put a clutch on it or does it have to have a keyway on the shaft? I'm new to this so may be dumb questions but idk.
We cannot answer that until you remove that sleeve and show us the shaft. We do not know if it has a slot in it for a key until you pull it off.

Well I may be SOL. I tried the puller and the tips of the puller are to thick to get behind it. I tried placing them on the teeth of the gear but the puller just wants to slip off when tightening it down.

Attachments

Soak it with penetrating oil. Be patient. Automatic transmission fluid will work but it takes a while. Be patient. Get a long screwdriver, crow bar, prybar or something like that. It will come off.

Well I may be SOL. I tried the puller and the tips of the puller are to thick to get behind it. I tried placing them on the teeth of the gear but the puller just wants to slip off when tightening it down.
I’ve had that happen too….now is when I’d break out the dremel or Angle grinder with a cut off wheel and slowly cut though it then I’d put a screw driver in the cut and twist….but that’s just me and I am an amateur

markus

I’ve had that happen too….now is when I’d break out the dremel or Angle grinder with a cut off wheel and slowly cut though it then I’d put a screw driver in the cut and twist….but that’s just me and I am an amateur
can problaby do that right down the keyway slot were the key is sitting and the rest behind the key may just come free......if you look real close you can see the key on the end of the crank, its just all been blended together in the angle grind........they were probably trying to get past a mushroomed end from bashing on it or something. Unless they cut that shaft short (for some reason it looks short) definitly be worth trying to save.!

Move your bolt up location to the next hole on your puller arms and try. That will decrease your arm finger engagement to a less aggresive angle. You might have to put a small socket or block between the puller bolt and the end of the crankshaft if you run out of pull while tightening to make up the added length difference and give you some range. Theres a zillion ways to do that but im trying to keep it as basic for you as possible. I do agree with Markus, the shaft looks altered a bit.

cfh

I've used a dremel or angle grinder to get old pullies off PTO shafts. you just have to go slow. i usually don't go down the keyway as one slip can wreck the keyway. but just go slow. as you get close to the PTO you can use a big screwdriver and spread the pully/gear in the slot you cut, often enough where it just slips off. it takes a light touch, and you can ruin the pto, but go slow and it should come off.

Even if that crank is no good, it needs to come out of there for the engine to be used. That ugly thing needs to come off.
If you decide to cut it off, I find it is easier to cut at an angle to the crank. That way, I don't hack up the engine. Work around the crank, looking occasionally to be sure you don't cut into the crank. If you do, it will be OK as long as you don't get too deep. Then take a chisel and hammer. Whack the chisel into your cut. You may need to make a matching cut 180 degrees from the original one. That way, the sleeve will split in two and come right off.
A saw will not cut it. You will need an abrasive wheel.

Last edited:
Even if that crank is no good, it needs to come out of there for the engine to be used. That ugly thing needs to come off.
If you decide to cut it off, I find it is easier to cut at an angle to the crank. That way, I don't hack up the engine. Work around the crank, looking occasionally to be sure you don't cut into the crank. If you do, it will be OK as long as you don't get too deep. Then take a chisel and hammer. Whack the chisel into your cut. You may need to make a matching cut 180 degrees from the original one. That way, the sleeve will split in two and come right off.
A saw will not cut it. You will need an abrasive wheel.
I'd just buy a new crank and try to replace it i just dont know what to get. I've looked around the engine to find anyway I can identify it but no luck