help with rusty 12" shock springs

On my 4th bird build now.... I was hoping to get some help with derusting the shocks(springs)? Can these 12"s be broke down so i can soak the springs? Yes 4th bird... I can't help myself, i see those little ape hangers and i have to bring it home.

Sorry yea sebac 14. When i started this i was fresh out of the emergency room. Yesterday cutting off the back tire the grinder jumped outta my hand and put 7 stitches in my leg.... Doc picking the disc/rubber chunks out with no happy sauce hurt a little. My stupid pc shows grey box says need plugin to play vid. Could someone do it as a link so i can click my way too it. Please & thank you

capguncowboy

Could someone do it as a link so i can click my way too it. Please & thank you
If you go to Youtube and type in "Sebac Shocks mini bike", it's the 2nd or 3rd result. The publisher is "Arctic Minibike"

Sorry about your leg -- that sucks! I'm glad it wasn't too serious!

Top video thanks. Looks like not crushing the tubes gonna be the tricky part. All my parts got here today and i'm stripping the frame now. I may have to throw it together & ride 1st. Who's bidding against me on my blue bird seat on ebay?!?! I already bought paint...

Top video thanks. Looks like not crushing the tubes gonna be the tricky part. All my parts got here today and i'm stripping the frame now. I may have to throw it together & ride 1st. Who's bidding against me on my blue bird seat on ebay?!?! I already bought paint...
I've done another 5 or 6 sets since making that video and tapping that bottom threaded area is still my most successful technique for getting them loose. Be careful not to overdo it, since you're actually stretching the tube and increasing the diameter.

You'll start to see a little rusty dust come out of the joint as you tap the area with a hammer. That let's you know it's working and breaking up the rust inside. Just take your time. Sometimes I start adding a few drops of penetrating oil to the joint area as I tap, especially when I see that powdery rust exiting the joint. Just keep rolling it evenly on a hard flat surface, like the top of a vice jaw as you tap.

I've also noticed that it sometimes helps to work the joint back and forth, tightening and loosening to work that oil into it.