Hemi with a non hemi head build

I tried selling this motor a while back and no luck, so I am just going to build this and document the progress in this thread. This motor is a hemi bottom end with a non hemi clone 18CC head:
ARC +.040 rod
Hemi flat top piston milled .005
pop up is +.015(above deck)
Will be using a .045 fire ring head gasket
Head is 16.3 CC for 12:1 compression
28/25 SS valves
dual springs
1.2 Ratio rockers
Hardened pushrods with guideplate
Will be running a black mamba sr cam
Debating on running a genuine honda side cover or the hemi cover at the moment.
I am waiting on a 3/8 barbed hose fitting for crankcase venting currently.
Progress so far:

Block plugging

I am venting my crankcase using the hole on top of the block. I had to trim my barb fitting shorter to fit under the stock fuel tank.

I use thread sealant for the larger block plug as it is pipe thread, the other I use Red loctite:

Last edited:
Don't worry about the side cover, I've spun mine up 9600^ and its stock with stock head bolts. Great idea to vent the crankcase every which way you can. I have two vents... A brass one like you got in the oil sensor hole and I 90* one on the side cover... Then one from the valve cover going to the pulse pump. And yes the pump stays hard still with two vents.

I gained over 800 rpm just in venting the crankcase.

Don't worry about the side cover, I've spun mine up 9600^ and its stock with stock head bolts. Great idea to vent the crankcase every which way you can. I have two vents... A brass one like you got in the oil sensor hole and I 90* one on the side cover... Then one from the valve cover going to the pulse pump. And yes the pump stays hard still with two vents.

I gained over 800 rpm just in venting the crankcase.
Nice! Thanks for the info. I was looking my sidecover over, and it looks like a decent enough piece, I doubt I will rob my side cover off the 160 for the time being.

Short block

This week I managed to get the short block all prepped and assembled. I cleaned the block with hot water and soap, and put oil in the crank bearings after doing so. I assembled the rod on the crank to find out my pop up is +.009 instead of +.015 above the deck. I measured my in the hole measurement with the original Hemi Crank, and the crank I am using is from a non hemi crank, .006 difference in stroke. I am using the non hemi crank as I already have an ARC non hemi flywheel.

I have changed my mind on the cam and placed an order with ISKY for a Black Mamba Jr. which is due to deliver tomorrow.

Pictures:

Hemi and non Hemi cams are different. It had to do with how big the pocket is that it rides in. Might want to make sure you are okay with the clone crank and Hemi cam.

Hemi and non Hemi cams are different. It had to do with how big the pocket is that it rides in. Might want to make sure you are okay with the clone crank and Hemi cam.
Hemi and non hemi cranks are the same as far as I know other than the flywheel taper, but yes, the Hemi cam is interchangeable with the Genuine honda, and the GX200 Clone, the Non hemi takes a separate cam on its own. I think that is what you were stating. Thanks for the heads up none the less.

Hemi and non hemi cranks are the same as far as I know other than the flywheel taper, but yes, the Hemi cam is interchangeable with the Genuine honda, and the GX200 Clone, the Non hemi takes a separate cam on its own. I think that is what you were stating. Thanks for the heads up none the less.
The pocket that the cam rides in is different size from Hemi to non Hemi -Jody @ ARC.

Just passing along facts.