Here's the new Flathead

I had some time to start to dig in today. It looks a lot better than I anticipated despite still being pretty cruddy. I think this will clean up nicely and be ok. I can spin the intake valve barely. It takes a good amount of trying, but I'll get them out, lap them and grind if needed. I didn't push the piston all the way down but from what I could see the cylinder looks good. No crosshatch is discernible but I also don't see any scoring. I broke the starter clutch open trying to get it off. It was stuck much tighter than the flywheel. I'm not sure if they can be reassembled or not but I'll look later.

Does anyone have a trick to getting the valve springs put back on without buying the special valve spring compressor tool?

IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG

Nevermind about the springs. I saw a YouTube of a guy using trusty old zip ties. Why didn’t I think of that. Zip ties can do anything! :)

joshua. c.

I've re installed them with a flathead screw driver. just put everything in there and lift the retainer with the screw driver and shift it into place. (this may take a few tries).