Hey guys Im lucas

Hey guys Ive owned this bike since I was about 15 Rode it one time then took it apart to sand it and paint it down. I managed to get it back together then a forest fire burned my families home down in 2003. I salvaged the frame and fenders, the only pieces that didn't melt... the rest was aluminum... Motor actually melted halfway over the frame. Welp Im 33 now and im finally picking it back up.

Its a trojan bike I have no idea what model or trim it is or even what year it is. Maybe y'all can chime in on that one. Im finally getting around to putting it together I've rebuilt the old motor I have, ordered a bunch of new parts, new seat, gonna paint it black again I think.

Ive got an 80 tooth rear sprocket so what chain should I be using
Is it worth replacing the clutch?
anyone have a chain guard they'd part with haha.

well just thought Id introduce myself and im gonna be posting picks of the progress I make
-Lucas

Attachments

...then a forest fire burned my families home down...
Welcome. This is a great site. Yours is the best/saddest/most dramatic minibike story that I've heard in a long time. How wonderful that you kept the faith and didn't just toss it. Clutches are regular service items, especially if the motor got hot enough to melt. Replace it. The recoil cover on your new motor has swell stickers. If it were mine I would leave that part as is.

Welcome. This is a great site. Yours is the best/saddest/most dramatic minibike story that I've heard in a long time. How wonderful that you kept the faith and didn't just toss it. Clutches are regular service items, especially if the motor got hot enough to melt. Replace it. The recoil cover on your new motor has swell stickers. If it were mine I would leave that part as is.
it was a wild thing to experience. We rebuilt on the same spot after the fire, I had even purchased all new parts for it around 2005ish... being as they sat in my dads garage and i was young and dumb he accidentally threw them out... which is weird for a guy that grew up riding a mini bike, But tacos, hodakas, and the like. The clutch thats on that motor was from that motor, I pulled that off an edger my great uncle had in his shed. I still have no idea what chain to get.

Steve73

By the looks of your sprocket you probably had #35 chain. Double check to be sure.. Someone else might chime in with expert advice. Lol.

Hey guys Ive owned this bike since I was about 15 Rode it one time then took it apart to sand it and paint it down. I managed to get it back together then a forest fire burned my families home down in 2003. I salvaged the frame and fenders, the only pieces that didn't melt... the rest was aluminum... Motor actually melted halfway over the frame. Welp Im 33 now and im finally picking it back up.

Its a trojan bike I have no idea what model or trim it is or even what year it is. Maybe y'all can chime in on that one. Im finally getting around to putting it together I've rebuilt the old motor I have, ordered a bunch of new parts, new seat, gonna paint it black again I think.

Ive got an 80 tooth rear sprocket so what chain should I be using
Is it worth replacing the clutch?
anyone have a chain guard they'd part with haha.

well just thought Id introduce myself and im gonna be posting picks of the progress I make
-Lucas
Welcome. Just a quick note that your rear sprocket is a 60T. It's #35 pitch and coupled with a 12T standard clutch it would give you a 5:1 gear ratio. I'm not sure what you weigh, but with a 3hp Briggs, it might be a little struggle getting up to speed unless you're on totally flat ground.

Welcome. Just a quick note that your rear sprocket is a 60T. It's #35 pitch and coupled with a 12T standard clutch it would give you a 5:1 gear ratio. I'm not sure what you weigh, but with a 3hp Briggs, it might be a little struggle getting up to speed unless you're on totally flat ground.
Thanks man I knew those numbers were wrong, my dad wrote that on there years ago. Im gonna buy a new clutch and chain so thanks for that!
Would you recommend a different sprocket? Im 5'10 and 165

Thanks man I knew those numbers were wrong, my dad wrote that on there years ago. Im gonna buy a new clutch and chain so thanks for that!
Would you recommend a different sprocket? Im 5'10 and 165
I'm not sure what hind of riding you're doing, but if it were mixed terrain and any kind of elevation at all, I'd look for a 72T rear sprocket. That would give you 6:1 gearing and be a little more forgiving.