High Performance Mods for my 1.75hp flathead Briggs

Minimichael

I just grabbed the pics off google, but I imagine It would be similar to the Neway seat cutter except on the inverse. Have a bit of a light touch or it will get jammed in a certain spot if it cuts too deep & its a bit tricky to cut through the sticky spot until its smooth again. The vise clamp jig I once had, they sent an old valve with it out of a 350 or something & it was really easy to use "like a pencil sharpener" Mine was different then the picture shown & had a hardened cutter like a large piece of square key stock that went in a corresponding square hole so it could be adjusted it diagonally in or out & locked with a thumb screw. But it wouldn't reach a small valve, the cutter wasn't long enough or the hole close enough for the smaller diameter. Just wanted to point out if it wasn't obvious to you already, All the other ring end cutter tools don't have a channel milled in them to accept a valve stem, but they are around 3 times cheaper. Mine works well, I screw it to my workbench to use but you have to use firm pressure with your thumb to keep the valve secure while cutting & this can get repetitive & tiering but beats sticking the valve in the block & using folded up fine sandpaper or a needle file between the tappet & stem to adjust, this method is excruciating...
Well thanks. Yeah the pencil sharpener design would seem to be perfect for a DIYer, but I'm not finding them either. In the meantime, I'm probably good with the condition of these valves just as they are and we'll see what kind of seal a light lapping will bring.

Last edited:

Minimichael

Ah yes, the elusive lathe I've always wanted... Well this rebuild has been sitting idle on my bench lately, tho I do stare at it a lot. And I'm thinking now that despite the very light concentric indentation in the valve face, it appears quite uniform and not at all marred or deformed. So I've since tabled the idea of cutting to reface them and instead set my sights on the valve stem and guide clearances. If those are loose and allowing too much rattle, well maybe then I'll start worrying again about faces fitting to seats. In the meantime, I've been packing up and relocating some projects to the basement for the coming winter months. Supposed to snow tonight, in fact...

Last edited: