High speed "Plan of (the seat pan) attack "

GustoGuy

Last week Saturday I made the mistake of letting my wife's 34 year old nephew who claims to have riden a 125cc Yamaha dirt bike during his teenage years ride my Resto-mod Rupp Roadster 2. I told him not to gun it and to takeoff gently since on a paved surface with lots of traction it has enough power to wheelie up and throw you off. Well he was out riding with his cousin who was riding my Predator powered stage 1 doodle beast and after a while his cousin came back saying that he Supermanned it and wheelied it over and that it won't start. We took the Escape and went to pick him up. Thankfully he wasn't hurt too bad just had some abrasions on his hands and bruised his right leg. The bikes rear fender was broken along with the tail light and the seat pan was bent upward aout an inch and 1/2. I used a hand winch and a homemade block and tackle made out of 2 by 4's to pull it back down. Now I need to paint my new fender and the paint shop was closed until Monday morning. I guess it's Tuesday now since I work all day on Monday.

Attachments

GustoGuy

Funny how people say they know how to ride. You will get her all fixed up.
Kind of a drag. I mean that's what a high power bike will do to you if you crack the throttle. Got to listen carefully to the driving instructors recommendations . I am a Bob Villa and shade tree mechanic all rolled up into one complete package so when I am done it will be like it never happened.

nightgrider

People underestimate mini bikes all the time. They think because of their small size and "lawnmower" engines that they are just toys.

Sorry to see your bike got damaged. I'm sure you'll have it fixed up in no time.

Last edited:

GustoGuy

People underestimate mini bikes all the time. They think because of their small size and "lawnmower" engines that they are just toys.

Sorry to see your bike got damaged. I'm sure you'll have it fixed up in no time.
Stage 3 Predator 212cc with 22mm mukuni Billet rod and flywheel. GPS clocked at 57mph . It's my fastest bike. He told me he had 125cc Yamaha dirt bike during his teenage years so I felt that he could handle it

nightgrider

Stage 3 Predator 212cc with 22mm mukuni Billet rod and flywheel. GPS clocked at 57mph . It's my fastest bike. He told me he had 125cc Yamaha dirt bike during his teenage years so I felt that he could handle it
That's a pretty stout engine build. I underestimated my first mini bike when I was a kid and it had a stock 5 hp briggs. Gunned it from a dead stop it pulled a wheelie. Not sure why but in that split second I decided to just stand up. It shot out from under me, but I held to the handle bars, it went up and came right back down between my legs. I turned to my dad who was there and said something along the lines of, "That was close, this thing has more power than I thought". Lol If mine had a built engine, I probably wouldn't have been so lucky.

GustoGuy

That's a pretty stout engine build. I underestimated my first mini bike when I was a kid and it had a stock 5 hp briggs. Gunned it from a dead stop it pulled a wheelie. Not sure why but in that split second I decided to just stand up. It shot out from under me, but I held to the handle bars, it went up and came right back down between my legs. I turned to my dad who was there and said something along the lines of, "That was close, this thing has more power than I thought". Lol If mine had a built engine, I probably wouldn't have been so lucky.
I am done letting people ride it. My step daughters fiance can handle the bike just fine but he used to drive a Kawasaki Ninja. The only reason I thought he could handle it was that he said he rode a Yamaha 125cc dirt bike when he was a teenager. My son can handle it just fine too. My wife has driven it and she said its very powerful compared to my 5hp Arctic Cat. She is a bit afraid of it and treats it with respect. I believe that he got in trouble because he was riding with his other cousin and he was trying to show off and he didn't realize just how hard that bike can accelerate. Here is a video of it in action.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/6jO1Da461EA

GustoGuy

All the work you put into that beautiful bike...what a shame. I feel you should send Superman the bill for repairs.

Superman wanted to pay but my wife said fix it on your own dime and let this be a lesson. Don't let anyone ride it. She said people who have car shows don't let people drive their cars at the show. So display it only and only ride it yourself. Ironically both Supeman's wife and my wife were pissed off about this happening. I have to fix little things on it like missing fasteners which can fall off while riding.but a major problem such as this sort of gets me down

Triley41395

Superman wanted to pay but my wife said fix it on your own dime and let this be a lesson. Don't let anyone ride it. She said people who have car shows don't let people drive their cars at the show. So display it only and only ride it yourself. Ironically both Supeman's wife and my wife were pissed off about this happening. I have to fix little things on it like missing fasteners which can fall off while riding.but a major problem such as this sort of gets me down
Don't let it get you down, just remember how much fun it was the first time. As much work as they are trying to fix up, there just as much fun.

I work at a Harley dealership and we get people in looking at bikes all the time that haven't ridden in 20+ years. We usually try to discourage them from buying a brand new Touring bike for $30k+ because it will very likely get wrecked. Riding isn't a skill that necessarily stays with you. I know I'm rusty as fuck when I haven't been on a bike (minibike or real motorcycle) for awhile. If it had been 20 years, I'd consider myself a new rider again.

GustoGuy

I work at a Harley dealership and we get people in looking at bikes all the time that haven't ridden in 20+ years. We usually try to discourage them from buying a brand new Touring bike for $30k+ because it will very likely get wrecked. Riding isn't a skill that necessarily stays with you. I know I'm rusty as fuck when I haven't been on a bike (minibike or real motorcycle) for awhile. If it had been 20 years, I'd consider myself a new rider again.
People also need to listen. A minibike with a built engine can definitly toss you off if you gun it. Respect the bike and drive carefully and you will most likely be alright.

SAS289

Riding isn't a skill that necessarily stays with you. I know I'm rusty as fuck when I haven't been on a bike (minibike or real motorcycle) for awhile. If it had been 20 years, I'd consider myself a new rider again.
Yep. I had a friend who rode street bikes for years but at the time had not ridden for years. He crashed my RM250 into my garage. His throttle grip was out of position and he made a left turn which opened the throttle. From that point on he called it the death bike.

GustoGuy

Yep. I had a friend who rode street bikes for years but at the time had not ridden for years. He crashed my RM250 into my garage. His throttle grip was out of position and he made a left turn which opened the throttle. From that point on he called it the death bike.
AKA Whiskey throttle. Make sure to have your hand in a position which will not inadvertently twist the throttle. Too many people panic and inadvertently gun it and get hurt.

GustoGuy

On another note. I am making another rear fender for my Rupp. I bought these on BMIcarts.com. they are slightly wider than the Rupp Fender but made of fiberglass. I gave up trying to find a genuine Rupp fender after searching for months and losing out on bids on ebay. All the ones I seen on ebay were either bent up and rusted.

Attachments

toomanytoys

My sister in laws ex said he was a pro dirt bike rider. Never seen him ride. He seen the minibikes at my house. Asked he if could tool around the yard on it. Sure, just watch her she isn’t your normal Chinese bike. Haha yeah right right it’s just a mini bike. Took the ct200 for a ride and ended up on his back before going 5 feet. I laughed so hard I was laying on the ground.

scratched my motor tins up but whatever it was great for a laugh.

dumb ass

nightgrider

Other things that usually throw off even experienced or claiming to be experienced motorcycle riders when riding a mini bike. Is a mini bike generally has smaller diameter tires and a shorter wheel base, which makes them handle differently than a larger motorcycle. Mini bikes are also a lot lighter but can have easily the same displacement as larger motorcycles. Couple all those factors together and it can make for a bad time.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Other things that usually throw off even experienced to claiming to be experienced motorcycle riders when riding a mini bike. Is a mini bike generally has smaller diameter tires and a shorter wheel base, which makes them handle differently than a larger motorcycle. Mini bikes are also a lot lighter but can have easily the same displacement as larger motorcycles. Couple all those factors together and it can make for a bad time.
it definitely takes a bit of skill to handle a mini bike with a built up motor! Mine will still dump me from time to time but that’s typically me getting a bit too brave/stupid.

GustoGuy

it definitely takes a bit of skill to handle a mini bike with a built up motor! Mine will still dump me from time to time but that’s typically me getting a bit too brave/stupid.
My Arctic Cat Prowler with the Tecumseh H50 and centripetal clutch is by far the least likely to jump out from under you. My Resto-mod Rupp Roadster 2 with stage 3 Predator 212cc with ARC Billet rod and flywheel with 22 mm Mikuni carburetor is definitely not for novices. Heck the guy who Supermanned mine and bent up the seat pan claims to have riden a 125cc Yamaha dirt bike during his teenage years. I learned my lesson and I will not allow people to ride it anymore.