Hillcat Style tandem scratch build Jeep2003 Open Class

Ratbike

yup making good progress. no pics yet. i got the engine all stripped down and ported valves adjusted and even got a first coat of paint on the block. still gotta strip down the shroud tank and carb. I got the front shock mounts in place and welded on and a front fender in place. its from a cheeftah. i also got the framework for the front rack made up and in place. Its real busy looking up front right now. i hope it turns out looking right. the back end is pretty much mocked up. just gotta finish welding the sprockets to the hubs and make sure evrything will align proper. And i started the rear fender from scratch to match the front one. Im still kind of undecided on these fenders. i like fenders to keep some of the mud off but i dont want them to end up making it look lame. i dont think ill be able to decide what stays and what goes until i see it all together. Im going with metallic black on the engine and im thinking blue frame but that could change. maby gold wheels and silver racks . I got some rear foot pegs from a motorcycle at the junk yard that will go nice. I want some older looking grips but if i cant find anything for the 1" bars i may cut the right side off so i can use a 7/8 twist and 1" grips on both sides :shrug: that might be weird i dunno
I have cut the handle bars on a couple of my minis and you can't really tell...and worked just fine.:thumbsup:

well i bought some 1" grips so that problem is solved . thats the only money iv spent on this bike sofar besides the can of engine paint :laugh: Iv got the engine almost done. Im using a smaller than stock tank but it looks similar. the bracket held the tank way up high though. So i cut it and lowered it down and had to modify the head bolt spacing i guess it was from a tecumseh im not sure. Im going to leave most of the carb bare aluminum with brass and copper pieces. Ill post pics of that when its all done. Also i finished the front rack . I made the main frame of it out of flat stock and for the cross pieces i drilled holes and ran round bar from side to side and peened over the ends to hold them in place. Its pretty cool. Ill do the same idea for the rear rack

so heres my little rack. Engine is real close to finished . workin on the rear fender and then the rear rack and seat mount. then iv got to make a band brake mount for the clutch and guard. Drill the engine plate and make the kick stand and thats about it for fab.

thanks it can certainly get real messy. Iv been trying to keep it picked up and organized at least in my mind. the more stuff you need to store in it the easier it is to loose everything including a place to walk :laugh: The only way to keep it truely clean is to only tackle one progect at a time but that never happens anymore

thanks it can certainly get real messy. Iv been trying to keep it picked up and organized at least in my mind. the more stuff you need to store in it the easier it is to loose everything including a place to walk :laugh: The only way to keep it truely clean is to only tackle one progect at a time but that never happens anymore
Same Here:laugh:I like the build its cool:thumbsup:

yea haha. well me and my brother have always been into these things since we were little kids we built our first gokart out of an old snapper like hoppys from my aunt at like 4 years old. but my brother always did all the tinkering and i just rode the stuff. When i was 15 i got my first car my 1946 willys jeep out of the woods for 200$ . needless to say it needed to be fixed up. but my dad kinda had his hands full all the time with work and his 58 impala he was restoring. and my brother had much less intrest in the jeep than me. so i got sick of asking for his help and dove in. Well the 4 or 5 previous years of reading petersons 4 wheel drive magazine i managed to figure it out :laugh: Back then we didnt have the internet or any way to get toys like we can now so we had to make somthing if we wanted it. I wanted a chopper so i figured i could build a jeep i could certainly build a minibike. A few weeks later I had my prize and it went great! Total cost of about 30$ most of that being the clutch :laugh: After that it just got easier and easier and im still a super low buck kinda guy. The carpentry thing just started because I didnt want to do the same thing as my brother. Hes a mechanic now and thats what he took in school. During highschool we had half day vocational school jr and sr year. It was lots of fun and im glad i know what i know now but im pretty sick of the whole construction game.

i recently built a better set of forks for it instead of the old extended bicycle ones and took a little rake out of it :)

Last edited:
Ok got the engine done. I didnt start it yet though. And ill probrobly paint the shroud lettering the same color as the wheels or silver maby. Before and after. I used the shroud and oil bath from the 59. the tank is from an engine at the junkyard that i fitted so i had to change modify the fuel line. I had a bit of copper so i used it. I probrobly would have made a custom muffler but i couldnt get the old one out. I figured it would have taken the threads out with it for sure so i just left it in and cleaned it up.

Engine looks good Jeep. :thumbsup: That's good you didn't take the muffler out, I did that once and the threads came with it. :doah: How many horse power is that motor?

thanks .yea clayton iv encounterd my share of stripped out exhaust ports. Theres not a whole lot you can do about it other than try and screw it in farther to grab some threads or make a brace to hold it in. I almost gave it my all and was ready to get out the torch when i realized what might happen lol. Im not sure on the hp its a 8c head so i think that makes it a 3.5 but im not sure. I filed the timing key a little to give it some advance which iv never done before I guess that should help a little. But i also shaved the valves to give it more compression that always helps quite a bit. I figure between that and the gearing iv got itll move along just fine :smile: