Hilltopper brake switch

copyman

Hi,

Was hoping someone has some experience with these old brake light switches (see pic). These are the original that were used on the bike with optional light kit.

The switch is very simple design. Problem I'm having is when I clamp the brake cable to handle bar it puts to much pressure on switch and stays actuated (closed). Tried all adjustments with cable tension, etc. I got it to where it works great UNclamped but as soon as cable is clamped switch stays on.

Are these switches just a poor design and crap or is there a trick to installing them?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

I use these switches all of the time for my Rupp, Speedway, Super Bronc & Hilltopper mini bikes. You'll need to make a slight modification to get it to work. Take switch apart and replace the dried out wafer between the two contact's with an O-ring/s. You'll have to try different O-rings to see what works. I usually start with either .075" thick and if that doesn't work I go to .095" thick. Sometimes I have to use 2 O-rings (.070" & .075" thick) and have the smaller inside the larger. It's a trial and error game to get the switch working properly.

copyman

I use these switches all of the time for my Rupp, Speedway, Super Bronc & Hilltopper mini bikes. You'll need to make a slight modification to get it to work. Take switch apart and replace the dried out wafer between the two contact's with an O-ring/s. You'll have to try different O-rings to see what works. I usually start with either .075" thick and if that doesn't work I go to .095" thick. Sometimes I have to use 2 O-rings (.070" & .075" thick) and have the smaller inside the larger. It's a trial and error game to get the switch working properly.
Thanks for the tip. You are 100% correct the wafer had disintegrated to crumbs. I was messing around with some rubber washers and got it working ok but will try o-ring. Also I was told switch had to sit inside an adjuster, that the hole in brake lever was too big without any adjuster. Heathkit manual shows these switches being installed without adjusters?

Are these suppose to have a lot of slack when installed?

Thanks again for the help.