Hm80 build...again

Ok do I decided to build my sacrificial hm80 engine....it was in pretty bad shape....I soaked it over night in evaporust..,that crap is amazing...it took the greenish haze off the cylinder walls....I then hand honed and fitted rings....at a stand still now, broke oil ring....rebuilt stator/mag....carb...new piston rings rod and valve springs...hope to put in frame and enter build off....

Attachments

MacG

Ok do I decided to build my sacrificial hm80 engine....it was in pretty bad shape....I soaked it over night in evaporust..,that crap is amazing...it took the greenish haze off the cylinder walls....I then hand honed and fitted rings....at a stand still now, broke oil ring....rebuilt stator/mag....carb...new piston rings rod and valve springs...hope to put in frame and enter build off....
Hey, Skip. I am new to this forum as of today. Saw your post and am wondering what your opinion might be of the value of a rebuilt HM80. I see you are rebuilding one yourself. How hard are parts to find? I am exploring restoring a 1977 Super Bronc VT-8 my Dad built from an original Heald kit. Thanks for any help you can give.

Hey bud... this is my second build of an hm80....I prefer these to the Hs50 everyone’s in love with....the cost of rebuilding right does not mean selling at a high price...a good rebuilt hm80 about 350....id never sell one....parts are not too hard to find...I try to use only Tecumseh parts...but there are aftermarket much cheaper....if it was my dads I build the shit out of it and give it to my son...they don’t make them anymore...just my old mans opinion...I’ll help all I can!

MacG

Hey bud... this is my second build of an hm80....I prefer these to the Hs50 everyone’s in love with....the cost of rebuilding right does not mean selling at a high price...a good rebuilt hm80 about 350....id never sell one....parts are not too hard to find...I try to use only Tecumseh parts...but there are aftermarket much cheaper....if it was my dads I build the shit out of it and give it to my son...they don’t make them anymore...just my old mans opinion...I’ll help all I can!
Hey, thanks, Skipp! I am seeing a rebuilt engine for $379 but didn’t have a feel for its relative value. You’ve helped a lot. This old SB has been sitting in the barn for a lot of years and I want to get it running again for my grandsons to ride. It is in relatively good shape, all things considered and I have not yet started tearing it down. But, I remember my Dad telling me the engine was toast. That was probably 15 years ago. I am not mechanically talented in any way but think I can tackle this with a little help. Thanks again!

Hey, thanks, Skipp! I am seeing a rebuilt engine for $379 but didn’t have a feel for its relative value. You’ve helped a lot. This old SB has been sitting in the barn for a lot of years and I want to get it running again for my grandsons to ride. It is in relatively good shape, all things considered and I have not yet started tearing it down. But, I remember my Dad telling me the engine was toast. That was probably 15 years ago. I am not mechanically talented in any way but think I can tackle this with a little help. Thanks again!
Hello Mac, and welcome to OldMiniBikes. Hey, you might want to go over to the Off Topic threads and create a new post in there with an intro, and then maybe another thread on the Projects or Vintage US (or whatever it's called) and post up on your VT-8! There are definitely some fans of both that bike and that engine on here! @chatten63

MacG

Hello Mac, and welcome to OldMiniBikes. Hey, you might want to go over to the Off Topic threads and create a new post in there with an intro, and then maybe another thread on the Projects or Vintage US (or whatever it's called) and post up on your VT-8! There are definitely some fans of both that bike and that engine on here! @chatten63
Many thanks...still figuring out all features of this site.

@Jamie1972 here is a partial parts list with numbers....coil : 30560a Tecumseh 33-363 aftermarket
Point : 30547a Tecumseh only
Condenser : I use 30548b not the 610767a, only difference I see is having to solder on....
My carb is the 632402 so I use rebuild kit 631782...
Rod :
Stock piston : 33869B
Rings : .010 33874

So far!

This old SB has been sitting in the barn for a lot of years and I want to get it running again for my grandsons to ride
The first one I re-did was last started in 1983....had been through 2 major floods....and a poor mechanic....as poor of a craftsman as I am these fellows on here are amazing...the knowledge is impeccable....pay attention ask the stupid questions, lord knows I do, it’ll come eventually....

I have a HM80 that’s new. Only been started every once in a while. $250 plus ship. Text 469-766-3839 if interested. I just north of Dallas

Attachments