Hmmm, question about my Hawg TY and a jackshaft

Hi everyone. First post for me so I apologize in advance for not introducing myself earlier

I picked up what I believe to be a Hawg for next to nothing and have been fiddling with it. The goal for this is something to go slow and put around our boating events and races as an alternative to a golf cart with is more typical in our group.

It's got a Briggs 5hp motor on it and no Jackshaft.

This is where I run into my problem. The previous owner ran the chain from the clutch to the rear sprocket BUT, since the set up was originally set up for a jackshaft it appears the alignment is off. Their solution was to turn the clutch backwards so the clutch sprocket is on the inside of the clutch towards the motor.

This solved the alignment issue but, for the clutch that is on it, the key on the clutch does not extend all the way from one side to the other. By having it on backwards, this key is not engaged and the only thing tying the clutch to the motor is how tight you can get the bolt holding the clutch on!!! It's got a grade 8 socket head bolt and a lock washer as the only mechanical means for tying the clutch to the crankshaft and keeping it from spinning

Okay, clearly that is not going to work and it probably means that I need to go back to a Jackshaft but I have some questions that I was hoping you could help me with.

The clutch has a 10 tooth and the rear sprocket is a 50 tooth. I currently am running a 420 chain. The overall purpose is to have low gearing so it moves around the pits easily. If the top speed is only 10mph that would be fine!

How do I go about ordering a Jackshaft? Do they all mount the same? I pretty mechanically inclined and have lots of tools but when I look at trying to figure out my gearing it makes my eyes go crossed and gives me a head ache.

Thanks so much for any advice you would be willing to share..........john

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Unfortunately, off the shelf rear sprockets with different tooth count for these bikes are limited (Very, as in non existent) So check out Hot Rod Minibike on the Home page, and look into a Pro Mod jack shaft kit, then your gear ratios are practically unlimited. Or.....look into a Comet TAV II. These are GREAT additions to these bikes! And welcome to the OldMiniBikes.

Thank you very much Neck! That's exactly what I'm looking for and to have somebody I can actually talk to about gearing will be very helpful.

Take care and thanks again..john

cxbra

I agree that the stock 10:1 gearing is optimal, you will get about 22-25mph out of a governed engine. That way you can cruise at 10mph at low rpm. I am running that gear ratio on my Hawg-Ty (bone stock, but with a predator 212cc swap :thumbsup:). It has TONS of torque, almost too much. Cruising at very low speed is annoying because with that gear ratio, the throttle is very touchy. Im going to gear it for about 33-35mph. It will still have tons of torque but a smoother cruising feel.