Hodaka question??

If you're referring to an ace 90 or 100, they are two strokes. I was told that stock the mix was supposed to be 20:1, but with modern oils, they're usually safe to at least 40:1

True in 1970's but, like Dan said with modern oils like synetic 2 stroke mix you can go to 40:1. If you are using normal 2 stroke mix stick with the 20:1 and be safe. A top end on a hodaka is not cheap. :laugh:

It ALSO used to say (use 10-W-30 motor oil) :laugh:

I usually just mix my gas and oil 32:1 in one big assed can and run anything I have with it.. 32:1 is good and thick, where you're not burning up OLD shit, because most all my stuff is 1974 MCculloch chainsaws or whatever...

But you can dump it in a 2013 honda weedwhacker and not plug up it's bunghole... :scooter:

pomfish

It ALSO used to say (use 10-W-30 motor oil) :laugh:

I usually just mix my gas and oil 32:1 in one big assed can and run anything I have with it.. 32:1 is good and thick, where you're not burning up OLD shit, because most all my stuff is 1974 MCculloch chainsaws or whatever...

But you can dump it in a 2013 honda weedwhacker and not plug up it's bunghole... :scooter:
Dude, you got a way with words :)

Oldsalt

This is how I look at it. What is there to gain by using the leanest oil mix possible? If the machine does not foul plugs the way it is tuned and the type of riding you do don't tempt fate. A few ounces of oil saved every year simply cannot be justified if there is ANY risk.

george3

This is how I look at it. What is there to gain by using the leanest oil mix possible? If the machine does not foul plugs the way it is tuned and the type of riding you do don't tempt fate. A few ounces of oil saved every year simply cannot be justified if there is ANY risk.
This is pretty much what you need to go by.

george3

Go to the motor cycle shop. Buy some full synthetic 2 stroke oil tell the guy its going in a gas tank not oil injector. usually has the ratios on the back of the bottle. look for 50:1 mix oil. If the engine has been sitting for a long time mix at 32:1 later you can go 40:1 if you want. Also measure correctly, and shake it up good.

Sad Hodaka loss...

You guys will be sad to know that my best friend, who lives in ME, had his welding/fabrication/machine shop, burn to the ground in Feb. Along the 100's of thousands in equipment, tools and many motorcycles lost, were a clean Hodaka Wombat, a clean Super Rat, a Super Rat roller and a rare Road Toad roller. Also lost was a factory-fresh Suoer Rat motor with the tags still on it. Never mounted, never started. He found the whole package in a woman's basement, just last summer, for $250! Unfortunately, the fire got so hot, all that was left ofany of the bikes, were hardened puddles of molten aluminum and steel... Even the front of his box van and the rear of his Airstream trailer, melted off... lost everything. He ran 40:1 synthetic in both the Wombat and the Super Rat.

Last edited:
Sorry about your friends luck, those hodaka will be missed. And thanks for posting the 40:1 with synthetic. Also someone asked y not run more oil in it. Why isn't to save of oil but they run WAYYY better at 40:1 then 20:1.

Most 2 strokes burn up from leaks in the gaskets like crank seals or a head gaskets from a warped head then fuel mixture. The motors run fine at lower RPM,s and is only sucking in alittle bit extra unmetered air. Then you want to open it up and wind out the gears shift at 8k and the motor sucks in to much air from the seals ( old or just worn out ) and leans out the motor and there goes your piston.

Sorry about your friends luck, those hodaka will be missed. And thanks for posting the 40:1 with synthetic. Also someone asked y not run more oil in it. Why isn't to save of oil but they run WAYYY better at 40:1 then 20:1.
Just as with modern synthetic motor oils, that can go 5,000 to 7500 miles between oil changes, synthetic 2 stroke oil is far more efficient at lubricating and at 40:1, you'll be blowing less smoke and your plug will have much better color and less oil fouling.

Back in the day, I ran Castrol R-30 in my Hodaka 90. I think I mixed it 8 onces to the gallon which was 20:1 I think? I kinda miss that smell.

Just as with modern synthetic motor oils, that can go 5,000 to 7500 miles between oil changes, synthetic 2 stroke oil is far more efficient at lubricating and at 40:1, you'll be blowing less smoke and your plug will have much better color and less oil fouling.
Yup thats so true !! I run everything I have at 50:1 as long as its tuned correctly. dont forget running more oil is actualy running it leaner. (less fuel and more oil which is prone for fouling)

Cheers !

george3

Yup thats so true !! I run everything I have at 50:1 as long as its tuned correctly. dont forget running more oil is actualy running it leaner. (less fuel and more oil which is prone for fouling)

Cheers !
A good running engine wont foul at 32:1. I use to run a full synthetic two stroke Amsoil at 100:1 in all my bikes but that is what was recommended by the oil. I am running a hodaka at 32:1 with a 50:1 max synthetic with no issues. Plug dark brown. not all synthetics are equal. You have to go by the oil recommendations.

Back in the day, I ran Castrol R-30 in my Hodaka 90. I think I mixed it 8 onces to the gallon which was 20:1 I think? I kinda miss that smell.
I remember it well! Nothin' like riding behind another 2-stroke back then, with that little spriral of blue smoke blowing up your nose! SNIFF, ahhhh....:thumbsup: