Home Machine Shop

Today I needed to mill some material from a guide plate so I could go race. I went to the old man down the street and he milled off .060 on his big Webb machine. i was sure it was enough but of course it wasn't. If I had a little mill/drill, I could have been racing today.

It's the same old argument, I was a machinist and have ran all kinds of machines. I have a HF x2 and one of their 9 inch lathes. I also have a craftsman atlas 10x36 which I don't use, takes up too much space. If you pay attention to your set up and what you are doing the cheap tools will do what you want. You may have to take a shallower cut, use a dial indicator instead of the handle dials, or any number of other tricks of the trade to get the results that you want. As for the X2 vs the X3 the X3 has a stiffer column than the X2. I think the X3 is the better machine.

Well that's my 2 cents
Bill

buy a used bridgeport pay a trained professional machinist to evaluate the machine before you purchase just got one with alot of tooling and dro for 1000 bucks the machine is only half of it tooling will kill your pocket also start reading on practicalmachinist.com lots to learn:thumbsup:

buy a used bridgeport pay a trained professional machinist to evaluate the machine before you purchase just got one with alot of tooling and dro for 1000 bucks the machine is only half of it tooling will kill your pocket also start reading on practicalmachinist.com lots to learn:thumbsup:

That's a good price. haven't seen anything like that around here; mostly 2500 and up. I've got my eye on another maximat which I might get if I can get the price right. Precision lathe/mill that I can do most of my work on. Though, if I were to find a deal like you got, I would jump on it. Have some leftover for a lathe too.

Awesome...welcome to the world of minibike parts fabrication...now there's dozens of parts you can make yourself instead of buying from someone else who made them.
Thanks YH. I only hope I can get a fraction of the proficiency you have with machines. I'm very excited about doing some fabrication and boring of carburetors. Now, I need a mill!

More fun on the lathe today. man, how did I ever live without one of these.
This is a little screw that started off as a regular cap screw. I machined the back of the head to reduce the size and make a countersink that will fit into the throttle shaft of carbs I build.

this is a before after:

I was thinking of a similar mod to a dinky carb I've got and once I pull the little washer is there any kind of sealant that one can use on the screw to help insure it doesn't come lose in the gas filled enviorment it runs in? I'll have to see if I can just buy a counter sunk screw-nice Lilipution work!

I was thinking of a similar mod to a dinky carb I've got and once I pull the little washer is there any kind of sealant that one can use on the screw to help insure it doesn't come lose in the gas filled enviorment it runs in? I'll have to see if I can just buy a counter sunk screw-nice Lilipution work!
Thanks. The 4-40 coutersunk screws I found didn't do what I wanted but you might be able to find something that works. Yeah, loctite for sure. Stronger the better. The factory ships with blue, but red is stronger. Need torch to remove though.

Last edited: