Home made bike

So I was at a show last weekend and ran into a fellow mini biker. He brought along a bike that he bought at a large old car swap meet in IOLA WI. As soon as I saw it I thought it was one of the coolest home made mini bikes I have seen. I asked him if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. He asked me what I have to trade? So last night I traded him one of my Trail Blazer rollers for this.

The front suspension has long pieces of threaded rod going up through the triple trees. The nuts are cushioned with rubber bushings.

The rear wheel is on a live axle with the bearings mounted in the frame. A little bonus is a Garbro rear wheel. I guess when he found it there was a 5 inch Go Power wheel on the front.

I'll be going through the bike, freeing up the front suspension. I'll put a more vintage wheel/tire on the front. Probably remove the scrub brake that was added some time after and install a correct drum brake. I'll put a vintage style seat on it as well as an engine that the builder probably had on it originally. I'm guessing it was built sometime in the early to mid 60's.

Last edited:

markus

Try and find info on a bike called a "min-a-bike" by delta designs, it is based off their plans, and yes very early 60's. I have some pics on my pc, I don't know if I ever loaded them up anywhere. If notwill try to load them up next time I get somewhere with good working WiFi (internet is out in our home for the next couple of weeks)

The plans show a little cafe type seat on it, plans mention Steens as supplying parts for it.

Nice score Tom :thumbsup: I have a six inch steel rim that's close to your rear rim, if you want its yours :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer Randy but the biggest wheel/tire combo that will fit will be on a five inch wheel. Otherwise it will hit the fender.

Try and find info on a bike called a "min-a-bike" by delta designs, it is based off their plans, and yes very early 60's. I have some pics on my pc, I don't know if I ever loaded them up anywhere. If notwill try to load them up next time I get somewhere with good working WiFi (internet is out in our home for the next couple of weeks)

The plans show a little cafe type seat on it, plans mention Steens as supplying parts for it.
Thanks Mark. I remember seeing plans with forks like these but have been unable to locate any pics. Let me know if you are able to come up with them.

buckeye

So I was at a show last weekend and ran into a fellow mini biker. He brought along a bike that he bought at a large old car swap meet in IOLA WI. As soon as I saw it I thought it was one of the coolest home made mini bikes I have seen. I asked him if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. He asked me what I have to trade? So last night I traded him one of my Trail Blazer rollers for this.

The front suspension has long pieces of threaded rod going up through the triple trees. The nuts are cushioned with rubber bushings.

The rear wheel is on a live axle with the bearings mounted in the frame. A little bonus is a Garbro rear wheel. I guess when he found it there was a 5 inch Go Power wheel on the front.

I'll be going through the bike, freeing up the front suspension. I'll put a more vintage wheel/tire on the front. Probably remove the scrub brake that was added some time after and install a correct drum brake. I'll put a vintage style seat on it as well as an engine that the builder probably had on it originally. I'm guessing it was built sometime in the early to mid 60's.

Now that is unique. What a great one to have.
Good on you Tom.

markus

Here are those plans/info, its for a series 3, I dunno if that means there were 2 others (maybe non suspended like yours is). Best I can get the photos, They must have been something I pulled off ebay I cant remember when though. Not great but maybe they help you out a little.

Very cool! Thanks Mark! Now I just need to locate plans from a series 2. My guess is series 1 was non suspended. Series 2 like mine only has front suspension and series 3 is fully suspended.

Markus never ceases to amaze me with that encyclopedia mind of his. That bike is a Min-a-Bike plans bike short of having a swingarm and since it was not a kit a person could basically make it how they like. Great eye and sense of knowing it was something special, quite a find Tom.:thumbsup:

markus

is yours as tight a squeeze as the plans are in the engine bay? might not have a choice :laugh: btw if you want direct copies of those pics just send me your email and i will forward them to ya. those boots on yours kinda look like fox boots (bottom left)