Home made kick start for a 3hp Briggs?

picked this up about 15+ years ago, dont remember where i got it. have never tryed to put it on anything but though you guy would like to see it.

that's a Hegar kick start...the pawl assembly is messed up on it and a dog is missing...should look like this:

There's also some fiber washers, spring, etc. in the assembly that need to be cleaned (but not oiled) to work properly. You can find the parts on Ebay.

whoever bolted that kick starter to the Briggs cover did not align it properly and that's probably why its missing a pawl, it was designed for the Tecumseh engine as a direct bolt on unit.

8up

thanks for the pic. now i see whats missing didn't have any idea if it was missing anything or not. just picked it up somewhere and thought it was interesting. what size tecumseh do they fit? can't beleive you can get parts for it. what do i ask for, just hegar kick start parts. i got acouple tecumseh engines 3 and 5 hp have to see if it fits one of them. thanks again.

It's not specific to or made by Hegar....that is a fairly common part used on Fairbanks Morse made recoils.

Try an Ebay for "Fairbanks Morse Recoil Pawl"

Carlos

Would love to see the machanism for this!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE this idea, would love to see the guts and how it was done ...

home made kick start on a briggs has been done before. here is a picture of a member here that built one for his 8hp briggs. looks easy to make:thumbsup:

LOVE this idea, would love to see the guts and how it was done ...
That is a good idea have you had any issues with gears grinding?
There is no "guts" or gears...it's just a handle slid over the stock Briggs ball bearing ratchet mechanism. The bracket is acting as outboard support.

The problem I see with it is it is 1:1...at best you are getting 1/2 turn when you kick it so you better have a motor that starts really easy. Most commercially built kick starters are built with a gear train that multiplies the output.

that's a Hegar kick start...the pawl assembly is messed up on it and a dog is missing...should look like this:

There's also some fiber washers, spring, etc. in the assembly that need to be cleaned (but not oiled) to work properly. You can find the parts on Ebay.
That pic looks like my Fairbanks morse kicker:laugh: